"If law school is so hard, how come there are so many lawyers?" — Calvin Trilling
Thursday night was poker night. We had a great showing of about 13 people. I showed up after class and bought in for 20 dollars. We were playing .25/.50 which means the buy in is really shallow. I stayed even most of the night. I lost a big pot early, but since I paid for the pizza and was paid in chips, I was back to even again. I won a decent sized pot against Joanna when my AK paired against her pocket 9s. I did lose half of it back when my AK didn't pair against her pocket 7s. We changed tables and I got into two big hands with Brian2. He is a tight conservative player. He doesn't bet or call unless he has the goods. I forget the first hand I won, but a while later, I run into pocket aces on the button. Brian raises and I double it knowing he won't be able to lay his hand down. Mike behind me calls, which worries me. Flop comes K62 rainbow. Mike checks, Brian makes a decent sized bet. I push allin, Mike folds and Brian has to contemplate a call. He had AK and was sitting with top pair top kicker. Only way I have him beat it two pair, a set or aces. (maybe KK) The preflop raising and calls takes me off 2 pair, or a set, so I might just have AK too. He knows he is beat, but can't get away from it and calls. I take down the pot as he doesn't improve. He plays very well, so I have to get lucky to make sure I hit a big hand against him to win anything. I'm pretty healthy now. I later limp with A6 suited on the button in an unraised pot hoping to hit the flush draw. I get the draw and Mark bets into me. I call and my flush hits on the turn. Mark then bets into me again and I just call since I have position. On the river, he bets 15 dollars. Now I had a big bluff against Mark two weeks back where I raised very little in a huge pot, so I know if I go all in, he will probably fold his lower flush, but if I just min raise him 15 dollars more, he has to call. The board wasn't paired, but there was a straight flush draw out there. He calls and I take down a massive pot. At the end o f the night, I end up with 105 dollars from my 20 buy in. About an 80 dollar profit. Not too bad for a low stakes game. Maybe it is greedy of me, but when people leave with a large winning, I just see that as money I'm not able to win. But that is poker, so I can't worry about that too much.
forgot to post this
No comments:
Post a Comment