www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Valadez Wedding trip to Arizona

"Albert: You know, honestly, I never knew I could feel like this. You know? I swear I'm, I'm going out of my mind. It's like I want to throw myself off of every building in New York. I, I see a cab and I just wanna dive in front of it because then I'll stop thinking about her.
Hitch: Look, you will. Just give it time.
Albert: That's just it. I don't want to. I've waited my whole life to feel this miserable. I mean and if this is the only way I can stay connected to her, then this is the way I have to be.
Hitch: No, you don't, you can change, you can adapt. You can make it to where you never feel
like this, never again." - Hitch (2005)

My cousin Mario just married his fiance Sarah last weekend. I attended the wedding in AZ and I'm very happy for them. I had a great time on my trip, but let me do some catching up before I talk about it.

Last week, I traveled to Houston for work on Tuesday (7/27) and Wednesday (7/28). I had to attend some depositions. I don't travel a lot for work at my job, so I was somewhat excited. I don't go to Houston often and feel very unfamiliar with the city. My work there was uneventful. I got back to Austin and then on Friday (7/30) I few out to Phoenix, AZ for my cousin's wedding. I had a direct flight which is always nice.

I arrived very quickly, but there was a problem picking me up, so I had to wait an extra hour at the rental car place until my mother, tia and uncle came to finally get me. It was really early, so I didn't mind. We had breakfast at IHOP and caught up. I hadn't seen my Tia Mati and and Tio Jesse in some time and it was nice to see that they were doing so well. They just live up the road in Ft. Worth, I should visit more, but don't often have occasion. I have always appreciated how well they treat me. My mom had been in town for a while before me and was going to stay for a while after. It is nice being a teacher and having a long summer vacation.

After breakfast, we headed to my cousin Sonia's house where my mother had been staying. I was amazed that people didn't have lawns and that must of the homes were very much in a stucco style (probably a correct term for this). Her house was very nice, inside and out, but it had the effects of numerous family members and friends coming through. I was envious of her hot tub, even more so than Mario's pool at his house. My grandmother was there waiting for us and we visited.

Soon after, we all went to a hotel in Scottsdale to check in and had lunch at In-and-Out Burger. It was my second time there in my life, the first being while I was in college and went to visit a friend in LA. She worked there and introduced me to such good burgers. It would never compare with Whataburger for me, but it was a memorable part of a very memorable trip. I'll always have good memories from that place and my family was excited that they had not so hidden Bible passages on the cups. Not closed on Sunday like Chick-fil-a I bet.

Later we went back to my cousin Sonia's house where I saw my cousin and her sister Marissa, her husband Steve and their cute baby Lukas. They came all the way down from Alaska. I also visited with my Tia Sarah and my Tio Mario who were very excited about their son getting married. Soon after, they all had to leave to the church rehearsal.

I helped my cousin Sonia pick up the food for the rehearsal dinner/party at Mario's house on Friday night. They served some very good enchiladas. My mother and Tia helped serve as I got to visit with all of Mario's family and friends. I was finally able to meet his finance Sarah, who was a really nice girl. Mario was busy entertaining and as the second belle of the ball we didn't get that much time to chat, but it was still nice seeing him again.

Saturday morning, I had breakfast with my mother, grandmother, and Tia Mati and Tio Jesse. We toured Scottsdale and even visited the mall there. Finally, we got ready and made our way to the wedding. It was a drive out there, and we ended up getting to the parking lot just in time. The place was pretty cool I must admit. It reminded me of the Mapple store from the Simpsons. There was a very big mountain in the background. There was also quite a walk up the hill and since my grandmother is getting older, we didn't get to the actual church until the wedding had already started. We waited for the bride to make her entrance and then we went in. I had never seen a wedding from this vantage point before.That is usually one of the best parts of the wedding. The ceremony was nice, much shorter than I was used to, but I was more distracted with how neat the glass building looked from the inside and the way they decorated. Here is that Mapple building I mentioned.
Here is the actual photo from the outside. Here are my photos from my trip to AZ:http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyadus/sets/72157624504120133/

Here is a small video I took and by small I mean short.

Afterward was the reception at the resort we were staying at. It was a very nice place. They had a cash bar that I was happy came with a heavy handed bar tender. Everyone had a great time at the reception and even though there were not a lot of people my age, I had an enjoyable time. Sarah's family was also very religious and I thought the best man speech by Mario's dad was good. Sarah has three brothers who were super high energy balls and all over the dance floor. You could tell they cared about her very much, but wow, they were extroverted. They skipped the ceremonial throwing of the bouquet and guarder which I didn't mind because I always secretly hope that it doesn't come at me.

The reception ended at 10pm, which is midnight on my internal clock, but I then hung out with my cousin Sonia and her two friends at their cottage she was staying at. I had a good time drinking some beers and chatting it up with the girls. I feel like I got to know my cousin better and her friends were really down to earth. I was probably quite the chatterbox, but I enjoyed myself. It is always nice hanging out with cousins.

Sunday morning, I took a car service to the airport, and then flew back to Austin. I then repacked and drove three hours to Houston for work on Monday. Some busy times I tell you.

Monday I had more depositions and then after work, I went to dinner with my friend from high school, Gennie. I haven't seen her in years and it was very nice to meet her fiance as well. They look very happy together. She was one of my closest friends back then and it was nice to see that even though she aged and matured that she was still the person I remembered.

Afterward, I went to have a drink with an old college friend of mine from Cornell. She is from Puerto Rico, a doctor and I guess is doing, let's say residency, in Houston. She gave me a tour of downtown and showed me all the hospitals. Man there are a lot. We chatted about life and where the last 8 years have taken us. She had some interesting stories. It was a nice time.

I worked again on Tuesday and Wednesday and then drove home to Austin. I had even heard from another old friend who I can never seem to come to an agreement with. I felt pretty tired after all of that traveling. I'm very thankful that Abram took care of my pets while I was gone.

I took some time to finally get an entry together and I apologize for how cursory it was, but things as of late feel like all the balls I have been juggling are falling one by one and I have forgotten where they have landed and rolled off to.

neglecting my dating life it feels like

No comments:

Post a Comment