www.flickr.com

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Engaging Times

"Love is a game that two can play and both win." -Eva Gabor


Last week, I found out that my cousin Rino became engaged to his girlfriend Jessica. They are both very happy and I am happy for their great news. I have yet to get the exact story on how he did it, but the end result is what is important. Rino and Jess have been dating for a few years and for the entire time I have lived in Austin. I've gotten to know Jess pretty well in that time and Rino a lot better since we lived together for a while. It feels different from someone you hardly see, and I'm so used to them being together a lot doesn't feel like it has changed. I wish them both all the happiness in the world and selfishly hope they have an open bar at the wedding. What was neat about their engagement was how the news spread. As most news, mainly, through Facebook. That is how I found out. These are new times we live in I tell you. I asked my mom if she heard and she said my aunt told her. You know, good old word of mouth, but then she finished with, "after she saw it in facebook." News travels fast. I should probably check with Jess on the rules for Rino's bachelor party. I'm a fan of loopholes. (j/k Jess) The family keeps growing and growing it seems.


On a hopefully unrelated note, a lot of people I know are having babies what feels like all of a sudden. I know people have been having babies since I was in high school, but for some reason, a lot of my close friends all seemed to put it off until the past few years. My friend Adriana started it I'd say and then we have my friend Jorge whose daughter is adorable (and I don't say that generally about babies). I got the news recently that my friend Jon, my friend Iris, my cousin Isra, my cousin Mario and I'm sure others I don't know about are all expecting. Those are a lot of exciting changes. I'm ok with being an old dad, but sometimes I wonder if I'd be ok with not being a dad at all.


Friday night, I went to see Louis CK perform stand up here in Austin. He is one of my favorite comedians because he has a gift for putting the things you think into a funny scenerio type joke that also pushes the limits. I was a big fan of his HBO show, Lucky Louie and like his new show Louie on FX. I would describe him as a cautionary tale of how I don't want to be when I'm 43. Then again, to be that rich and successful would be nice. I had a great time. After, I went to watch a band perform and was reminded how much I miss the college life.


Saturday, Abram, Ashley, my cousin Rino and I all went to the UT football game. I know the season has been a let down, but I was excited to be going. Football is football and I'm a UT fan. It was Rino's first game. The seats Rick got us were awesome and much closer to the field than I have ever been. We cheered as Texas ran up the score on a pretty weak team. I was happy that McCoy got to play (for like 2 seconds), but it sucked they didn't let him pass. Now I'm looking forward to the game next week against A&M. From the looks of it, A&M should destory UT, but every one steps it up for this game.
After the game we got some Mexican food at this place I have been wanting to try out for years. You know, I really built the place up in my head and it wasn't as magical as I expected. The food was good though and I'd go back, but I need to learn to stop idealizing things because it just sets you up for an inevitable let down.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. My family is coming into town and we will be celebrating it at my place in Austin. We seem to alternate between Austin and the Valley now. Right now, I'm working on getting a dining table since the one we have is too small. Let's hope that works out. My family does most of the cooking, and I like it that way. This is a holiday I have spent alone many times, and I must say I prefer spending it with family. There are a lot of things to be thankful for. (Except for the history of Thanksgiving.) I'm looking forward to it.


que disappointment

3 comments:

  1. don't worry.. there will be an open bar! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add one more to the list, my cousin Adam. Such awesome news.

    ReplyDelete