www.flickr.com

Monday, December 20, 2010

My Cousin Laurie's Wedding

"The middle years of marriage are the most crucial. In the early years, spouses want each other and in late years, they need each other." - Rebecca Tilly

This Saturday was my cousin Laurie's wedding in Dallas, TX. She is one of the youngest of the cousins on my mom's side and her marriage only leaves 4 unmarried cousins out of 14 left. I don't know why that is a relevant fact, but I mention it anyway. Laurie grew up in Dallas and has always reminded me of a Dallas girl because of her accent. People used to say that her and my brother used to look like siblings when they were little. She has a great insta-smile that shows her happy disposition. I had a great time. Here is Laurie and her husband Vic.
But before I get into it, real quick, the answer to the question in my last entry is no. I'm not the type of person that owns a juicer. I just didn't have it in me to juice daily. I finally decided that powdered wheatgrass would have to do and I returned the juicer. The machine was great, you could put it together easily, but with the time of actual cutting of the grass, plus juicing, plus clean up (which is fast, but not fast enough), it was just too much of a ritual. Then throw on top of all that trying to grow the stuff and keeping track and watering, it was just too much. I guess that is how I learn my lessons, by trial and error. This also shows how lazy I can be. My brother made a good point when he said, "you think that making a sandwich is too much trouble."

Ok, back to Laurie's wedding. Abram and I drove up to Ft. Worth on Friday after work and made it just in time for the rehearsal dinner. We got to see a lot of family that we hadn't seen for quite some time. A lot of Tias/Tios and cousins. I stayed the night at my Tia Mati's house which is by my standards, huge. It was very kind of them to host us. I was feeling sick, so I crashed out early.


Saturday, I slept in a bit, had some family time and got to see my cousin Adam and his wife Kirby. They are expecting and I'm very happy for them. We made it to the wedding and it was a very nice church. My mom got to read a passage from the Bible during the ceremony and my sister Ana helped out too. The priest almost forgot to do the "you may kiss the bride" part, but caught it just in time. Laurie looked great and her two sisters, Melba and Monica (my cousins) were bridesmaids. It was a nice wedding.


Then for the party. We headed to the reception where I got to visit with more family. The hall was impressive with an elevator you could see out of and a high ceiling. The little kids had a blast going up and down. They had an open bar which made me very happy, but since I was under the weather and driving, I didn't get to take as much advantage as you might imagine. Here is photo of my family.


During the wedding, I got some more great news. My cousin Rino, who is getting married next year, asked my brother and me to be groomsmen in his wedding. We happily accepted and I was honored. I'm looking forward to that.


The night ended around 10pm and we headed to my Tia Mati's house were we hung out and had a few drinks. I felt like a wet blanket because I called it a night at midnight due to the beer not fixing the sickness. Everyone else stayed up and had fun.


Sunday, we had a get together at my Tia's house and then Abram and I headed back to Austin. The trip seemed longer on the way down for some reason. It was a good experience and I was glad to be invited.




hawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment