www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Day of Celebration

"Celebrate what you want to see more of." -Tom Peters

Last Friday was a good news day, well not like super huge, but just a general happy day. I got together with friends and family to celebrate a few positive developments in everyones' lives.

First, my friend Christina got a raise and a bonus at work, which she undoubted earned and raises are always awesome. Then my brother Abram just got hired for a new job, one I think he will do great at. My friend Oscar also recently got a raise at work, a place that he has been wise to invest the last 9 years of his life. Lots of nice positive steps forward in life that make me happy.

I wish I had exciting news on that level, but I will say a small positive development for me was that I finally got my car refinanced Friday. It was a year later than I had wanted, but was still very important for me to do since I was paying too much in interest. That took a huge burden off and reminded me that I need to pay more attention to interest rates. Friday also happened to be the day that I filed a brief for work that I was working hard on and that always feels good.

So Friday night we headed for dinner at Trudys. There were 8 of use total. Dinner was nice, but I always feel like with any more than 4 people at a table you can't really have a good conversation and have to break up into smaller conversations. Throw in cross talk and I always feel like some people are being left out. Now in a bar situation, any number of friends is a good number because you can easily move around.

But the food was great and the company was fun. That was the same place I had my first greyhound. After dinner, we headed to a bar, had a few drinks and called it a night early. A lot of the night was about catching up with friends we hadn't seen in a while.

My random thought of the day is FB related. "National Unfriend Day" was on November 17, 2010, but then there was another one called "Unfriend Day" on this Friday, March 4, 2011. All this unfriending, people should just agree on one day already. For some reason, probably boredom, I actually took the time to go through my FB friends and remove those I really don't know well enough, don't chat with and for the most part have hidden. I will say that I was surprised with some of the people that made the cut. I like having people I know real well and those I don't know that well because you added them originally for a reason. Some people are only somewhat acquaintances, those you met once and never ran into again. But over the years I feel like I have gotten to know some of them via their FB feed updates and consider them genuine FB friends. Unfriending them at this point just wouldn't make sense because even though I feel like I know more "about them" than "actually them," you get somewhat invested in their story and like to see what happens next. People go through relationships, have children, share really interesting links.

still waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment