www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Spiritually Repressed

"I'm alive...When I'm eating, that's all I think about. If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching. If I have to fight, it will be just as good a day to die as any other. Because I don't live in either my past or my future. I'm interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you'll be a happy man. You'll see that there is life in the desert, that there are stars in the heavens, and that tribesmen fight because they are part of the human race. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now." ~Paulo Coelho


As much as everyone loves hearing about my adventures at the gym, I enjoy talking about them. Sunday is my day off, my cheat day. This is the first cheat day that I don't really want to have a really big fast food meal, but I know if I don't, I'll be more prone to cheat later. So Saturday I did my run and it felt good. I woke up this morning and decided that I was going to stray from my program and go run today to make up for my Pollo Tropical. Instead of my usual half hour intense cardio running, I wanted to see how I could do running longer slower. So I ran 4 miles in less than 40 mins and finished up with a cool down to 5 miles. Juan Carlos, I am ready for the Bronx four mile challenge. It felt great, and I know I shouldn't mess with a program that is working, but I'm sure it isn't gonna hurt.

I talked to my mom Monday night for a while about my plans for the next 6 months and just random things. She told me about a problem my sister Eliza was having with the car she bought. In short, she got a great deal on the car and she was told she would get 7% interest (if you ask me, it is still high). So she gets the keys, takes a picture at the dealership, takes the car home and now over a week later they call her and tell her they are going to increase her interest rate. It is true nothing has been signed, so getting a contract enforced would be hard, but honestly, if they got a lawyer, I'm sure they could get the deal enforced. Update: I talked to Eliza on Tuesday, and found out that my mom put her mind to it and got the car financed through her bank at 5.9%. I am very proud of them for making it all work out.

Tuesday, I'm cooling down on the treadmill and there is an older black lady next to me walking. She looked over and I thought maybe this would be a good time to really practice getting to know strangers. I turned to her and told her I liked her water bottle and inquired where I could get one. It had an interesting strap. Well you could tell she was wanting to have conversation because she went off on where she got it and why she liked it so much. Then she began to tell me her story, about how she had an aneurysm and became paralyzed. She showed me the scar on her head. She told me she couldn't move half of her body, but because of the Lord, she was normal again and could walk and function. She told me how now she cherishes life so much more and how happy she was to be able to walk and be on the treadmill that day. I told her she was an inspiration and that I hope I could have that type of determination, and though I wished to talk more to her because she was enjoying the company, I had already stopped the treadmill when she got into her story, so I was just standing there and not walking with her. I wished her a great day and left, happy I got to meet her. I didn't share my name or get hers, so I still need some work on my skills, but nothing is better than practice. I think all people want to talk and share, they just need someone to listen.

Sometimes you say something to someone, and when you good back on it and let the experience sink in, you feel very guilty. I've been working on being a less judgmental person, letting everyone be themselves and not trying to change them. This isn't as easy as it sounds and I think you can hurt someone with just your words.

When you change the way you look at things, you change the things you look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment