www.flickr.com

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Bullies

"Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative." - Kurt Vonnegut



So I get home yesterday after work and decide to watch the Super Tuesday coverage. I thought I would be more excited since I follow politics on a daily basis, but some how I felt a bit bored. Almost like since we knew that there wouldn't be a winner on the democratic side, it was just watching to see who would have the small edge. At least that means the race moves on. It seems like McCain has his nomination all wrapped up even though a lot of conservatives seem pretty pissed about that.



On the way to work I pass an elementary school , a primary school (that is what the sign says) and a high school. It is during school zone time, so I have to slow down and make sure I don't get a ticket. There is a billboard in front of I think the Elementary school which said, "Help 'Nerds'. Blackout Bullies. Thursday wear black." My mind couldn't consider all the reasons that this is wrong because it just went into overload. First, I get the wear red for drug week and the stamp out drugs or whatever silly things schools do to foster community spirit. Here is my first problem, "Help Nerds." This infers that there are students at the school that are indeed Nerds. Now if you are a student who has been bullied you are now considered a "nerd." Is that any way to foster self esteem in a kid? I mean what if it was "Protect wimps or pussys" instead. I just feel that using the term "nerd" to describe any part of the school population BY THE SCHOOL is just inappropriate. Sure kids will call some nerds, others jocks etc, but it doesn't mean that the SCHOOL should adopt those stereotypes. Secondly, in defense of bullies, every act of aggression isn't always bullying. Sometimes it is legitimate self defense or retaliation for something someone has done to you. It isn't right, but it doesn't make you a bully if some one says your mom's a whore and you punch them in the face. Usually both would get in trouble, but the real issue here is "Kid on Kid" violence that the school is trying to stop I would think. I think it would be cool if that school made kids wear name tags either making them "nerds" or "bullies" so that the other kids could know who exactly they are helping and who they are "blacking out." This was such a waste of my thinking, but your mind wanders in the morning as you drive to work.


So I'm all excited, I finally got a working Centro, I was able to give my sister a working Centro and I have a Treo 755p I was planning to give to Abram. Now that I have had time to fully use the Centro I'm torn giving up the 755p. These battles I have with my mind, they make no sense. I had to do this update on it so that it would have the latest software. Centro is winning right now.

This is for Herbert who doesn't read my blog, but his irrational support of Ron Paul made me think of him when I saw this.



I want to believe, I really do

No comments:

Post a Comment