www.flickr.com

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." - Angelina Jolie

Today is Super Tuesday and I've never been so excited about a primary. Texas doesn't vote until March, so for me it is just a matter of watching the returns. I'm really interested in how it turns out and if it will affect the way I vote later. One day I'm for Hillary the next I'm inspired by Obama. As far as VP goes, Clinton/Obama would be amazing, but I don't think Obama would pick Clinton as his running mate. I worry Clinton would go with Richardson or Biden (both great guys, but not as exciting.) I guess I'd just sit back and watch the pundits do their thing.

I hope everyone voted.

The Brawl: Colbert (and Stewart) v. Conan. A must see. Without writers people can get really creative in finding ways to waste time, but this was amazing.




I will be honest here, I'm don't get really excited about other people's kids (or pets for that matter). I'm not indifferent per se, but I can't reach the level of joy excitement and wow that a parent feels for their child as they tell you some amazing achievement that makes their baby unique. "My baby is so smart he just did {insert action here}." I'm not mean or grumpy towards kids, and think I get along with them well enough. Right now there is a lot of baby excitement in the air. My sister Eliza is having a baby soon and Oscar's sister Monica is having a baby any day now. I'm actually very excited for both of them, in a way I didn't think I would be before. Maybe it was watching the process from finding out there was a baby, the preparation, the showers (fyi Eliza's is this weekend) and even things like name picking or the moment you find out the sex of the baby. I'm not as excited to be an uncle, because I'm already an uncle (and a great one btw that just hasn't had the chance to fully prove that yet), but more excited for my sister's joy of having a new child. Now I'm sure my awe will pass soon after and Eliza will have to deal with the day to day parenting things. So my point is, I kind of am starting to get it now.....kind of.

So during my hiatus, I had purchased a brand new Centro, but it ended up being a scam, well kind of. I ended up giving the phone to my sister Ana and she was able to get it to work. I'm so happy because it means that the phone won't become useless. That ends a long sequence of events in a good way.

When you look back on your life, you start to see things differently. Things you couldn't see years ago feel like they are getting clearer. You spend your life looking for the one. You have a list of characteristics you hope to find, but other than great learning experiences most options do end up effectively as dead ends. Then you meet a person, a person that has a good heart, always has a smile, is smart, attractive, fun, active, caring. Everything you could hope for. Then to top it all off, they care about you immensely and you know they would do anything for you. Then you hurt this person by not being their one. It is usually because you know there is something missing, either something you can't live up to or that intangible thing you are still looking for. Other times it is just you not completely happy with yourself yet. What were you supposed to do? It is this person you should remember when you feel like you can't find the one, because you are the one that chose being alone. You have no reason to feel sorry for yourself or lonely. We are not always the victim of love, but those are the memories that come to mind the most. I think it is an important lesson to learn.

Here is some feedback I got a from a friend that I really agree with and that really meant a lot to me: "though you didn't quite ask for this i'll tell you how i feel about the matter. it's pretty much true that he doesn't feel pain in the sense that we think of it as. it hurts the family seeing a patient basically deteriorate. i've seen sooo many people w/ sores, and wasted people who are hooked up to feeding tubes and IV's. if it were me i'd rather just someone pull my peg tube. sounded like he rebounded well last year, and now he's not really improving, he's just not dying as fast as people predict him to. it's shitty that people get sores and ulcers just b/c they're lying in bed all the time, and i would rather pull my parent's feeding tubes if they were in the situation you described. but sounds like the person that makes the calls wants god to do his thing, and yeah if she calls the shots there's not much that anyone can do. seeing all these really old people has made me want to draft a advanced directive myself, but of course i haven't done it. "


everyone was asking for you

2 comments:

  1. ok, so the brawl video was freaking hilarious. mind you, i used to watch the jon stewart show when it was on. i loved it. eduardo and i both used to stay up to watch it and when it was cancelled we would compete over who missed it most by saying "do you remember jon?" randomly and seeing if the other realized we meant jon stewart and then accusing each other of not missing the show. it was our joke. anyways, pretty good video, i'm glad you had it on your blog because i wouldn't have sen it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon Stewart and Colbert are back on the air, just without writers until the strike is over. Since they don't have writers they have to be really creative and do funny shit like this to waste time. I thought it was great. That same day Conan visited the/"a" Daily Show and the Colbert Report for the setup, but it was mostly covered in the Conan video.

    ReplyDelete