I visited my family this weekend in Edinburg. We had a BBQ for my sister Eliza's birthday at my mom's house on Saturday. All the kids were over and my dad cooked for us. I'm such a fan of fajitas, especially when made at home. I should of taken my brother's truck down as to pick up the dryer we need, but I had it in my mind that I might be able to get to my tire fixed while I was home. I don't know why I thought this, considering I had no money to my name until Friday, so it was a bad choice. Now I need to figure out our washer/dryer situation.
Early Saturday morning, I drove over to the cemetery alone to visit my sister's new memorial. I knew my mother and grandmother would be going later in the day, but I wanted to go alone this time. They had just put the vases up and they had no flowers, but later in the day they would be put there. I usually visit in the evening and this was a first going so early. I got a phone call from my older sister while I was walking over, so that distracted me for a bit and I didn't have to sit there alone with all my thoughts. The stone was black, my main request, had an Angel on it, which was my sister Eliza's request, had Psalm 91 on it, my mother's request. It is something for us. It did make it feel even more real than it already feels. Absence is a hard thing to grow accustomed to. I didn't have a lot to say that morning, but I stayed there a while. It was a visit I needed.
I picked up Bekkah and Jamie on Saturday morning to stay with my mom for the weekend. Eliza brought over Tori and Celeste and Ana brought over Sarah and Michael. I didn't like that some of the kids were fighting, but it is something they have to deal with as cousins and you can't always just make things better because you want them to be better. Ideally everyone would get along all the time. Saturday I took the girls and Tori to get ice cream at McDonalds. We ran into my cousin Mari and her two girls there. It has been a while since I had seen her. It makes me think that I need to do a better job at keeping in touch with my extended family. I wish there were more events where everyone would meet up to make that easier. My grandmother was still visiting my mom, so I was happy to be able to visit with her as well. She is so wise and gives the best advice.
So, it is a story I know well. It is easy to see and understand. In this case it is a good one of sorts, an experience where I have nothing to complain about. It is always nice to visit the feelings of anticipation, hope, enjoyment and laughter. It is better to know where you stand than to find out slowly. You always know though. I know I'm more than comfortable, but I'd rather be myself. You get the opportunity to see the potential that there may be and that is all you can ask for really. The common platitudes can be saved, they are not needed. Patience is something I possess, and I'm not a person that resigns easily. For me, these matters are not complicated, but I see how they can be without the proper foundation. It is when it is simple, comfortable and unique that there is no question. I rarely relish in experiences that do not mirror my intentions, but this one was special. I'm still hopefully even though I don't have a clear picture of the puzzle.
I finally caught up with my friend Juan Carlos from college on my drive home. It has been well over a year since we had last talked. I figure this because he didn't have my new phone number, which is over a year old. He told me how he had two more years of medical school and caught me up with his life in general. I can always go off on how much I admire Juan, but his becoming a doctor is really awesome. That is something I could never do and from the day I met him, something he always dreamed to be. He asked me when I was next going up to NYC and I told him that I would like to plan a trip at some point, hopefully when everyone could get together.
So this is it, this is bar exam week. The day has finally come for my friend Christina. On Sunday, her and her sister drove up to Austin after watching the US lose to Mexico in the Gold Cup. (I hear the US brought its C team, but there are always excuses.) Her testing starts on Tuesday and ends on Thursday, at which point we plan on going out to celebrate. I've suggested a piano bar. She has worked pretty hard and I really hope she passes. She definitely deserves to. She is at the point now where all the learning she has done is pretty much over and there isn't much more cramming that will change how things are going to go. I hope she goes in with a positive mindset and is able to avoid the pitfalls that made the experience so much harder for me. It is funny how my best form of support was to let her study in isolation for the final weeks. Her sister, Adriana, came up with her which I think was a good idea. I don't know why the stress is eating at me too and I want it to be over for her. Soon it will be. Good luck!
Did you know that Female Cats Are Right-Pawed, Males Are Lefties?
I guess that makes Koki and Mia right-pawed. This is completely useless information I know, but I'm a fan of the trivia. I'm right handed by the way. Just in case you were wondering.
Speaking of cats, here is a story. The other night Koki was laying on my bed and didn't feel like being bothered. I decided to pet her anyway and she was not happy with it. Usually she will bat me away or even cut me with her claws that I have let her grow out, but it is usually no big deal, but a lesson to leave her alone. That night she batted my hand away and her claw got stuck in my wrist. She started to pull while I pulled back in pain and it really hurt as we had a tug of war with her claw in my wrist. The dangers of pet ownership. What I can tell you is that next time I'm just gonna leave her alone. I decided to make my own pop art version of the experience thanks to a friend's suggestion. Here it is. I never was much of an artist.
I saw previews for the movie 500 Days of Summer and for some reason I'm very much looking forward to seeing this movie. From the friends that have reviewed it, I've heard very good things. Unfortunately, it isn't out everywhere. Here in Austin, so far I have only found it at the Drafthouse. I need to figure out a way watch it and that is always a great place. My list of movies I'd like to see keep growing.
Gov. Rick Perry Says Texas Will Secede from Government Health Care. Meanwhile, 1 in 4 Texans Lack Coverage.
In the video Maddow really lets him have it because Perry is talking about "seceding" from any national healthcare plan, reminding him (and us) that he's been governor for nine years. As she points out, one in four Texans lack health insurance, giving Texas the title for highest number of uninsured citizens in the entire country. We are the example of everything that is wrong with the healthcare system. I can't wait for Kay to take him out. Too bad we will end up with Kay, but I'm in Texas, best of two evils right.
My cousin Rino is moving out this week. I hope not for wanting to get away, but for wanting to move in with Jess. Right now they are busy packing and moving things. I'm sad to see him go, you just take for granted having someone there to talk to, have dinner with and go and do things with. I hope he likes his new place. He was a great roommate I'd have to say. He will be missed, but then again he won't be that far so I shouldn't think about it so much. His washer and dryer are going with him, which I'm sure we will also miss.
Oh by the way, today Choreographer Merce Cunningham died at 90. He was a colossus of 20th-century choreography; his career in dance, which lasted more than 60 years. Just a little random culture.
Now I have this list, places to visit and movies to see and I still look forward to carrying out that list.
First,
ReplyDeleteYour drawing is too cute.. After hearing the story first hand tonight at dinner, the drawing made me laugh pretty hard.
Second,
You are still more than welcome to come over for dinner or just hang out, anytime. We are less than 15 minutes away! :)
I'm glad you enjoyed the drawing. It happened just like that, I meant that might as well be a picture.
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure to take you up on that offer. Hope you enjoy setting up your new place.