www.flickr.com

Friday, August 07, 2009

Emotional Bonds

"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom." - H. L. Mencken
It feels good to be healthy again. I now need to get a good jog in so that I can get back into my routine of becoming more healthy. Though this Time magazine article made me feel pretty depressed about the results you get from running. Exercise Won't Make You Thin? I'm sure it won't affect my motivation. No one else I know who has been in contact with me has gotten sick, so I'm proud of myself for not spreading the fun. I hope I'll be immune for the rest of the year.
My sister Ana is coming up to Austin this Sunday after her and her kids go the Dallas Cowboy's Training camp and visit family in San Antonio. I think they are going to the Schlitterbahn Waterpark as well. It should be a nice vacation before the kids have to go back to school. Their summer went by pretty fast I think. Family vacations are memories people keep for a very long time I think. Or maybe I did because we didn't go on a lot of them growing up. Hell, I moved to DC as an adult because it was a family vacation I remembered fondly. I had to pass up on a trip to DC next weekend because I don't have much vacation time left for the year. I have a lot of friends I would like to see from up there.

Sometimes I like the places that good conversations take you. I was talking to a friend the other day and she said something similar to, "he said one of those vague guy statements that mean everything and nothing at the same time." I responded with the fact that it reminded me of one of my favorite song lyrics from college by this band Kara's Flowers called As Things Collide. I got the mp3 from my friend Rick I think and had it on one of my Summer mix Cds I had made. I listened to is a lot. I think I even wrote an entry about it many years ago. Here is my favorite part of the lyrics with the part that she reminded me of bolded.

You have this way of dipping in and out of sight as things collide
Bridges burning softly in the night
And you have this way of falling in and out of time as it goes by
Passing silently with no goodbye
And I've spoken with all the other angels
They don't know what to do
And I agree with them whole-heartedly, I do

Telegram came today from a friend saying
Where in the hell have you been?
Where are you goin?
I said I don't know, does the loneliness show,And if so does it ever end?
And I've spoken with all the other angels
And they don't know what to do
And I agree with them whole-heartedly, I do

You have this way of meaning everything and nothing to me at the same time
Returning my hellos with goodbyes

After doing some research I found out that while they were in high school, the four original members of Maroon 5 played in a garage band called Kara's Flowers, which was active from 1994 to 2001. I did not know this was the same band and was very surprised to find this out, but I liked this song way before Maroon 5 was created. Simple things in life that make you happy.

John Hughes Dead: Director Dies Suddenly At 59
This prolific director of such culturally significant films as The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Pretty in Pink died suddenly on Thursday of a heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to Manhattan to visit family. He helped give my favorite actor, John Cusack a start. He hasn't done anything substantial since the 90s, but man his work influenced my growing up. His movies are so ingrained in the popular culture that it's hardly worth it to exalt each one in detail. I'm sure if you use Facebook, friends will be posting their fond memories.

So I was about to get a haircut on Thursday when I got some feedback from some friends about my current style. It was somewhat negative, but put in a kind way. I have been trying to grow my hair out as long as possible. My goal was for a style similar to that of the character from Shopgirl below. It was quickly pointed out to me that one, his hair texture is different and that that style would not happen for me, and two, his head is oval and mine is round making it more of an apples and oranges type of situation. I thought it would be a cool hairstyle to have. By the way, this is also my favorite scene of the movie.



Ignoring any compliments about my hair when it was short, I did not want to give up what I have put so much time into. I decided to take my case to the hairstylist and let them help me make the decision. So I share with you my current progress. Here is my before picture: This is me and my Dos XX. It should give you a general idea of how long it has grown. So I went in for a haircut during my lunch break to a place that is somewhat expensive. I explained my situation to the stylist, and asked if there was a middle ground maybe. He told me it would still be a long time before I could do much as far as length and because of that I decided to cut it short and return to reality. Here is my after picture:

Well it is back to normal. I think I look a bit angry there though. I'm happy though.

So Congress passed the $2 billion extension of the Cash for Clunkers Program. Senate approves 'Cash for Clunkers' extension This works out great because on Saturday my brother and my father are going to buy a car. I hope it all works out and Abram gets a brand new car. This will result in my Dad also getting a car and this has been a goal I've had for a very long time. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all goes.

Ok, I finally accept that the NBC show Kings is over. A note from Kings creator, Michael Green This letter from the creator pretty much explains how there is no chance that it might get picked up by another network. The offices have been cleaned out, sets cleared and everyone has moved on. It was great while it lasted.

In more positive news, True Blood has been confirmed for a third season on HBO. I'd give you a link, but I'm sure you can trust me on this. This show is getting better every week. I'm very much enjoying it. The episode from last week is still my favorite. I like that the story has expanded from a few characters to more characters taking a much broader approach.

The following article discuses a book about the link between Sex and Music. Oxytocin is kind of famous to scientists because it’s the hormone that’s released when people have an orgasm. The evolutionary thinking behind that is that humans have among the longest periods of raising their children of any species—their children remain in the nest until they’re fairly old. Biologists argue that the purpose of the orgasm and the accompanying oxytocin is to create an emotional bond between two people so they’ll stay together. Well, it turns out there’s evidence that when people listen to music together or sing together, oxytocin is released then, too.

Over 50 Percent Of Women Are Embarrassed By Their Feet: Study
You wouldn't think this considering how many of them wear flip flops. The article states that the foot shame for example shows up at the spa. Spa employees nationwide say clients habitually apologize during treatments for their corns, Sahara-dry heels, ingrown toenails and hairy toes. This is something I would have never guessed. Women are indeed complicated.

Rachel Maddow: Big Money Pulling the Strings of Protests
I don't know what to think about these staged medical reform protests. I hate the fact that the hate and anger are manufactured by corporate interests, but it is also a testament to how open Democrats are to hear from all sides. I think one Congressman put it best when he said that he didn't care if people came to share their point of view, but when they yell and not let other speak that is what bothers him. For those people just full of hate and anger on their own, well they should go and have their viewpoints shared, but they don't have to be jerks about it and make a scene. It isn't productive, I mean do you want Code Pink breaking up each Townhall, there is still a war going on.

There has been a lot of good news this week. Thursday, Sonia Sotomayor became a Justice and our first Latina Justice of the Supreme Court. Sotomayor Confirmed To Supreme Court
She becomes the 111th justice and just the third woman to serve. I am very happy about this. Too bad she is a moderate replacing a moderate on the Court. I still can't wait for a Liberal Progressive, Left Justice to be appointed. This I will not give up hope for.

I'm very much hoping that I am wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment