www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Art is Complicated

"The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it." - Bansky

This weekend my brother Abram hosted an Art Showing at our house. Abram's friend Ryan is an artist and they put together a nice event at our place. I'm very impressed with what they put together. We had a good turnout and it was a fun time. I have pictures and video from the event. If you only want to look at the art work, go here. Christina's favorite and mine is this one from the "She Loves me Not" collection.

Christina is going to commision one of these robots for herself. We had a drawing for a free piece of art work and guess who won? Abram. Then we had a drawing for a free Boxmouth T-shirt and guess who won? I did. Looks pretty rigged huh? I guess there is a benefit to being the hosts.

Saturday morning, my cousin Rino invited me to Spring Fest at the middle school he works at. All of the money that is raised goes towards the special needs group "The Adventurers" and their annual summer educational trip. I bid on a set of golf clubs in the silent auction and won. I got to feel good about the donation and get started on a new hobby. I had a good time and the bbq plate was great. I even took one home for Abram who had similar thoughts. I will always be impressed with Rino's work with special needs kids. It takes a special kind of person with much patience to do what he does.

Saturday was also the Kentucky Derby. I love watching this race on TV each year. One day I would like to attend. The film about Secretariat looks like it is going to be really good. Super Saver ran a great race I think. I haven't been to a horse race since maybe once as a kid. I've been to dog races a handful of times and always enjoyed it. It is definitely the gambling part I like.

Saturday night, a very busy day by all accounts, I even watched the White House Correspondents Dinner. Obama did an amazing job telling jokes and I had some great laughs. I was disappointed in Leno, but so was everybody else. Ever since I saw Stephen Colbert speak truth to power a few years ago there, I have always wanted to go. Maybe one day. I recorded the Morning Joe special on Sunday morning to get some commentary. Nothing like watching hung over people chat about the awesome time they had. Here is the video for those of you that missed it.


You know what else happened Saturday night? The Mayweather-Mosley fight. I didn't watch it until Sunday and Mayweather was way too fast for him. I'm looking forward to the Mayweather Pacquio fight, if they ever get it properly set up. You know what else would be good? A Roy Jones Jr. and Anderson Silva fight. Too bad that won't ever happen. I miss watching boxing, but UFC I find so much more exciting.

Finally, Abram and I had been thinking of moving closer to Austin. We were looking at houses to rent and finally found the perfect one. It was going to be an increase on rent, but the location was great. Then we find out that the landlord hates cats and that since I have two cats, we can't move in. Koki and Mia are pretty non-negotiable in my book. We ended up deciding to retract our notice and stay here in Buda. I'm happy with the decision. I think you never really fall in love until you lose or are about to lose what you already have. I'm happy with our place. Now I can use my energy to look for a dining table and a new bed.

I want to congratulate my friend Christina for passing the Texas bar exam. I'm very excited for her. Watching her on this journey has been an emotional roller coaster. I'm proud of her and she will make a great attorney. I hope she celebrates very very much. She has worked really hard for this and in this process we have become much closer friends.

I went to visit her in San Antonio the day before her results were in and we went to Red Lobster. It is my favorite restaurant and considering the effects of drill, baby, drill in Louisiana, I was worried about the price of shrimp going up dramatically in the near future. So I had shrimp and lobster. It was my first time trying lobster. It is always fun trying new things, but it didn't make too much of an impression. She was concerned about her pending results, which I do not blame her since it is a scary time. Now she can be happy and enjoy the fruits of her labor. It was a long road to get here. They celebrated on Tuesday night, but I didn't make a second trip to San Antonio since I had gone the day before. I'm sure we will celebrate soon.

new shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment