www.flickr.com

Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Practice

I need to get in the practice of writing once again. I figure I'll do little entries and work my way up to longer entries. Let me just get some old writings out of the way. Below as some stuff I typed up but never posted.

August 16, 2004

The world was falling down around me. Below are some topics I was planning to write about.

Work - how that ended.
Apt - entire situation and how I'm now in a 2 bedroom and the fun of getting out of my last one.
Emotionally - where I am in respect to that.
Uhaul - buy insurance I tell you.
Summons - stupid credit.
School - Guess who is in law school.
Move - talk about a big move.
New apt – not qualify - no job makes it hard.
Cell phone - $800 bill, new phone and new number

September 2, 2004

Today is Thursday and we are preparing here for hurricane Frances. Let me do a quick recap on me before I start talking about the happenings of my life. I’m single, and moved in late August to Miami, Florida to go to school at St. Thomas School of Law. I’m living in a two bedroom apartment in Miami Lakes.

So it is my third week of law school. You might think that since my school isn’t ranked (or not anywhere near high), that it wouldn’t be that hard. Man, this shit is hard. My fellow students are very hardworking and I’m going to have to work my ass off to be at the top of my class, which is my goal. I’m taking Property, Contracts, Civil Procedure, Torts and Legal Writing. Property I’m told is the hardest, but so far I feel like I’m getting it, Torts is relatively easy, but I’m not getting anything in class, so its going to be hard for me, Civ Pro is just hard, the Professor is awesome, but it doesn’t matter cause the material is the hardest and Contracts is straight forward, but the professor is very demanding, oh yeah, Writing is going to be a bitch, nothing I can’t handle, but there is no way I’m going to get around the time issue, so I know it will be sucking out my study hours.

Here is my plan, work with the older students who approach law school as a job and just show up at 7am and leave at 7pm…I plan to arrive at 9am (classes start around 10am) and leave at 6pm…which is hard as hell to keep to because when I am done with class I really want to go home. I have a day where I have class until 8pm, so that is a hard day. Instead of trying to outwork all these people, I’m just going to try to understand the shit the best. It might sound silly, but I always think that as long as I’m working I’m keeping up, but lots of times I spend hours reading shit and I don’t get anything, but somehow I feel like the Gods above will grant me knowledge just because I spent all that time reading it. So far I got a lot of motivation, but it is very overwhelming for me right now. I have all kinds of supplement books, which only means more reading.

September 3, 2004

Now it is Friday and the hurricane is much closer. Let me tell you about my adventures of getting water yesterday. I wake up and go to class at 10am and find out my class was canceled. I decide to go to Wal-Mart to get water. That place was packed. I always ask myself if people are inherently good or inherently evil, but I think that when it comes down to self preservations, people can be assholes. You just watch the way people would maneuver their carts around with no regard for the people around them and this is because it was so packed, I felt like I was driving my cart. You would have to wait for your turn to go, and this was just on my way towards the food. People would use their kids as weapons in their arsenal, since they were small and could get around the carts and grab whatever the parent wanted. But what really got me was the situation with the water. There was no water, so people waited in line for the water truck to get there. There was woman with a child in the front of the line and a worker told her to move to the side and when the water got there she would take it to her. So the line is long and I’m near the front having waited almost 45mins to an hour just standing there. The water gets there and they come out and give it to the woman with the baby. People start yelling how it isn’t fair that she gets water first just cause she has a baby, not fucking knowing that the lady was first in line. Then as the water comes out, the line becomes a mass mob and people are pushing and shoving and being assholes trying to get the water. It pissed me off so much, but I just held my ground and got my own water and got out of there. (Note: I waited in line to pay for another hour and watched people cut there too.)

So I really think that hurricane Andrew really traumatized the people of Miami, because they have the fear of God in them when you talk about hurricanes. I guess I have never worried too much about them, but I have also never almost been killed by one, so I probably have a naïve view of them.

I’m pretty much on lockdown in my apartment now, but I haven’t been as productive as if I had class this week. I did do laundry, but no school work. I hope to use this long weekend to get caught up with school and hopefully even get ahead. The problem is that I have a paper due and those I tend to put off, so I am worried about that.

9/5/04

The hurricane attacked Miami like a big teddy bear, but that didn’t change the fact that I was on lock down in my room for the past 3 days. It was much worse for the rest of florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment