www.flickr.com

Monday, November 05, 2007

Fort Worth

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” - Ayn Rand (Russian born American Writer and Novelist, 1905-1982)

Thursday I showed up to work and wasn't able to concentrate on anything. All I could think about were the pending bar exam results. I tried to distract myself, but my insides were hurting. I just needed to know no matter what the outcome was. I called Rick up and he told me the general time I should be expecting to see the list online and that saved me many hours of worry. I am now refreshing and refreshing the site waiting to see if the list would come up. Then when I least expect it, I see the pass list. I quickly scroll down and see a name with "All" and since my name is "Alan" I was sure I did not make the list. I was crushed, but as I worked my way backwards to see where my name would of been, there it was. I was so happy as adrenaline rushed through my veins and I hurried to make my phone calls after quickly thanking God. I was genuinely excited, this moment I did not take for granted. I'm glad I wrote my thank you entry before hand because there was no way I would be able to sit down and write when all I wanted to do was celebrate. My face actually started to hurt from all the smiling.

I left work early and just talked it up on the phone calling everyone to share my good news. After Oscar and Danny got home, we met up with Ericka and had dinner at TGIFridays to celebrate. After that, Karina joined us and we went to Rino's house and celebrated with him, Jessica and Vince. I really appreciated how happy people were for me.

The next morning I woke up at very early and packed and drove out to the Austin Airport to fly to Dallas Love to visit Abram. The flight was quick and virtually hassle less, except that Love is really far from Ft. Worth. Abram was there to pick me up. It was really early.

Once we got to Abram's place I took a quick tour. He has a one bedroom two story loft. It is a really nice set up, but rent makes it hard to afford much else. I was amazed on how big Memphis (Abram's dog) was and how similar he looked to Brooks. It felt cool to see my old coffee table and shelf in the living room because I've had so much history with that that furniture. I have yet to really live alone, I think I would like it.

Abram took me to his work where he is a manager in training at Chili's. His GM bought me a shot to celebrate my passing and I had lunch while I got to see where Abram worked. It is a new store and looked really nice, but I don't know if I could keep up with the fast pace environment. After lunch, I drove home, of course getting lost because I thought I was much cooler than I was when I was not paying attention on the way to the restaurant. I did get home and chilled with Brooks and Memphis. I took them for a walk, which was hard because they are so strong, but I was able to establish dominance and get them to do what I wanted.

I then took a nap. I woke up once my cousin Adam got out of work and he picked me up. He quickly corrected me when I referred to Ft. Worth as Dallas. Seems to really bother people. We delivered a large flat screen tv to one of his friends and then dropped by his house. My aunt wasn't home so I didn't get to visit with her. It had been a long time since I had been to Adam's house. So many people have lived there during their path, from my cousins, to Abram. Adam's girlfriend Kirby came by and we got to meet for the first time. She is pretty cool and just like everyone described. We then took off to pick Abram up from work. We had some drinks while we waited and then went to go and play pool. It was my first time hanging out with Adam for a really long time and it felt just like old times. We caught up and Abram was right, Adam is really persuasive. After Abram and I went to hang out with some friends and called it a night.

Saturday I was surprised I woke up without much trouble and dropped Abram off at work. I picked up some lunch and came home. I was planning on visiting family, but I was so tired I ended up just falling asleep, which probably explained how I got up so easily. I set up my slingbox on Abram's laptop. I felt terrible and apologized for not showing up.

Abram was to get out of work at 8pm so I dropped by and things were crazy, so I had a few drinks at the bar for the next hour or so. After he got out, we headed out to Addison for my cousin Laurie's birthday party. It was a long drive, but so much of my family was going to be there. Laurie, Melba, Monica, Adam, Vanessa....and I don't get to visit often with them. We arrived late, so Laurie was already in full celebration mode. Thanks to daylight savings we had an entire extra hour until last call and we closed down the place. The trip home was long and involved Whataburger in the early morning.

Sunday, Abram dropped me off at the airport and I flew into Austin. I drove over to Ericka's and met her as she came home from her 2nd baby shower in 2 days. Monica had her baby shower on Saturday and it sounded like it went really well. I'm not sure how I feel about the co-ed nature of it, but it seemed like everyone had a good time. We had lunch and then went to watch the Colts Pats game. I fell asleep though. I got home to watch the Cowboys game and found out my cats were not happy with my vacation. They had two accidents and pissed all over the laundry room. I don't know if I was more mad or embarrassed. I have a lot of cleaning to do.

My mom came into town for a conference on Sunday night. I'm hoping to meet her for dinner on Monday after work.

In High School I was on the Mock Trial team my Junior year. Rick had done it his Sophomore year but didn't try out his Jr. year. We did well and at State I had the second highest speaker points (to Claudette who is now an Attorney) and was pretty proud of myself. The following year (Senior year) I tried out for the team thinking it was only a formality. Well I didn't make the team. Of course I felt like there was a political reason, namely the fact I was an ass about how I signed their agreement that said I would not quit the team for debate. I was debating with Rick and put down all the dates I would be busy, and there were really no conflicts. After, the coach tried to convince me that I just didn't perform as well as the other students, which I knew was not true, but part of me started to believe it. Were these sophomores and juniors really better than me? I went on and had a great senior debate year and it all worked out like it should. I'm almost glad that happened because it made me want to prove them wrong about me and just like Rick did, I followed my path to become a lawyer. Mock Trial was fun though and I have good memories, but nothing like the fun I had in debate.

Go to Flickr to see a more user friendly version.








everything isn't better yet

No comments:

Post a Comment