www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Texas Primary

"Occupants of public offices love power and are prone to abuse it."- George Washington , Farewell Address


I voted today in the Texas primary. I had planned to go before work, but woke up late so I went during lunch instead. There was a long line, but only for Democrats. The Republican line was empty. By 9:30am at my precinct 147 democrats voted and only 40 republicans. I did not caucus though because, just like superdelegates, I just think it is silly. I mean, people should just vote and the current system of apportionment is very fair I think and much better than winner take all, but the superdelegate mess bothers me too. It just isn't democratic, no matter if it influences the election or not. Most people I know voted for Obama, and I will surely vote for him for president, but I wanted to give Hillary her one last chance to make her comeback, and I voted for her. It was a hard decision for me and ideally I would like want a Hillary Obama ticket, but not an Obama Hillary ticket. He can help her, but she can only hurt him politically. I would of course take it though. I've voted in a lot of states now, NY, VA, FL and TX. Now it is time to watch the results.



Hillary Clinton on the Daily Show last night:





This weekend I went to see Erika. It has been nice being able to see her so often and this sure beats being 2000 miles away from each other. When I got there, we played cards with her family and friends. The time of course flew by as we made the most of it. She is really thoughtful and great at surprises. My favorite moment was dinner at this nice French restaurant we had never been to. It made me want to travel to Europe. We later had drinks with my sister Ana and Rick on Saturday night. I really liked that bar, they had some good music. After attending a birthday party for a little cousin of hers, and checking out her family calendar that her and her mom put together to see what empty slots there were, it was time for me to drive back to Austin. Back to work.


So I still can't get other this myspace v blogger amount of people that I get visiting. More people find it easier to go to Myspace and view my scaled down version, than just save my site as a bookmark. I can't add as much video on that site (well I probably could if I tried harder.) In any case, I still don't get many comments or kudos anyway. Maybe I should just blog exclusively there instead.

Here is some cool info I just learned. ABC will air five originals of Grey's beginning April 24. I feel like I have no understanding when my shows are starting or ending, when the season begins, ends, its all a blur to me it seems. Too many breaks and weeks off and well the strike probably complicated a few things there too. The Sarah Connor show had its series finale this week. I didn't think I would like it, but it is pretty good.


As a Christian I worry that the ones that have power set a bad example by those actually trying to follow Jesus's good hearted teachings. The most judgmental of Christians have been the people that upset me the most because they not only distort the word of God, but they make others not want to be Christians because of their example. Speaking of examples, Evangelical Christians talk so much about family values and not having sex before marriage and how gay people are evil (hate the sin not the sinner they may say, but they still hate the sinner.) This may be old knowledge, but I didn't know they too have one of the highest divorce rates of any religion, including people who don't believe in God. Way to set a great example. Way to live your life in a way that inspires others to learn the word of the Lord. That kind of hypocrisy bothers me a lot. So one article I read discussed the reasons behind Christian Evangelicals having higher divorce rates. (fyi, the Bible Belt also has some of the highest teenage pregnancy rates, but that is for another day.) So the arguments I heard were:



1. Christians are generally younger when they marry the first time.
2. Christians are less likely to have pre-marital counseling than non-Christians.
3. Christians tend to view their faith as protecting their marriage from divorce.
4. Christians are more likely to be ignorant about the problems that can develop within a marriage.



Sadly, I think that even though these are generalizations, they highlight some reasons that might explain this phenomenon. Then again I have seen a lot of happy Christian couples as well, but these stats still interested me.


loyalty

No comments:

Post a Comment