www.flickr.com

Monday, June 22, 2009

Home Alone

"If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

I had a good weekend, mainly because it was the weekend. I had originally planned to go down to the Valley for Father's Day, but that didn't work out. I did call my father though. He had a good day with the rest of the family. Saturday night, I went out downtown with my friend Christina and Caro. I had never been to the 7th and Red River part of downtown before. It was an interesting area to say the least. Austin has a very diverse bar selection. We went to see a band they knew. They were pretty good, but had no singer. I guess I'm just not very used to that. As Caro said, it is always good to try something new. It was a fun night, except the part on the way home where the people who had been drinking were driving crazy in my lane, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE POLICE STATION. I made some gestures, but then they got out of their car. I wasn't ready to test ignoring consequences at the level they had already shown, but was relieved to see they were picking a fight with some other car they seemed to have gang issues with (multiple people from multiple cars.) I decided to stay out of it and was happy to see traffic moving again once they got back in their cars.

On Sunday, Abram left for the Valley. Rino was still out of town, so that left taking care of the dogs to me. Nothing I can't handle, but man it was a hot day. Lots of water. That also left me at home alone. It is times like this I imagine what it would be like to live by myself. I wonder if I would like it or if I would feel bored and lonely. It is not too bad and I think I could get used to it.

I have been following the Iran Election protests online and on the news. I went to Twitter and searched for #iranelection and the posts and videos where both heartbreaking and inspirational. I think most people agree that the election was a sham and as an American I support the protesters, but we can't just go in there and invade another middle eastern country. I think what these people are doing is very admirable and watching the violence coming through the holes in the media blackout is hard.

I think this morning conservative Joe Scarborough put it best:
SCARBOROUGH: All we would do is undermine those people in the street, who the second that they are attached to the United States of America, the country after all that’s been known in Iran as the great Satan since 1979, we will undermine their cause … It’s so shortsighted I find it stunning. […]

At the same time you can argue that that has already happened.


Speaking of Twitter, I have an account (hyadus), but I don't twitter much. I probably use my facebook status more often like I would use twitter. I finally set up my fb status to update my twitter account, so maybe that will help me try it out more. It feels like a lot of noise.

Bill Maher: Democrats Have Moved To The Right And The Right Has Moved Into A Mental Hospital (VIDEO)
"Shouldn't there be one party that unambiguously supports cutting the military budget, a party that is straight up in favor of gun control, gay marriage, higher taxes on the rich, universal health care, legalizing pot, and steep direct taxing of polluters? ...What we need is an actual progressive party to represent the millions of Americans who aren't being served by the Democrats, because bottom line: Democrats are the new Republicans."













NBC came out with a new show this week called Merlin. A little research showed that the show was actually released on the BBC about a year ago and was picked up by NBC. I saw the first two episodes on Sunday night it looks promising. I'm still mad about Kings. Have I mentioned what a good job they did of casting the princess?

Do you know what I still have on my Tivo? The last 4 episodes of Prison Break and the last 4 episodes of Brothers & Sisters. I guess even when I don't have anything to watch, I still haven't watched those episodes. It is funny I think because I'm just watching Prison Break because I have come this far. This is just a mental note to watch them.

I can't get away from weddings no matter how hard I try. Here is an impressive -- wedding invite -- I ran into this online and I thought it was a pretty cool wedding invitation. I don't understand why the guy just didn't move to where the girl was, but I admire him for being patient and waiting for her to come. Double click the image or the link to the original to read it.
(via Matt Dorfman)


This is a very mundane fact, but this weekend I got all of my ironing done. I bought a clothes rack where I hang my shirts after I wash them so that I can iron them before putting them in the closet. Well the rack became my closet and I would just pick shirts that were "ironed enough" to wear. My whole idea of this middle ground so that I wouldn't have shirts hanging up on door knobs and door hooks all over the room failed. So Sunday night while I was catching up on some TV, I decided to iron everything on the rack. I am not a fan of ironing, but it had to be done. I have so much clothes that I'm too lazy to wear because I don't want to iron it.


John Hodgman at Radio & TV Correspondents' Dinner.

He was the headliner at the Radio and Television Correspondents Association dinner Saturday night. I found his discussion on nerds very funny.













On a completely unrelated note, I think a lot about my lunch break. I really wish I worked near home, so that I could go home, run on the treadmill, shower real quick and be back to work. That plus a microwavable meal would be a good use of my lunch break. Alas, that is not the reality that exists and I don't know if an hour is enough time to do all of that anyway. Maybe if I keep thinking about it I'll figure something out that I'm happy with.

So right now I'm trying to get through the next few weeks to get back on track. The problem is that Bill Maher is coming to Austin on July 10th. That is a comedy show I would have loved to go to. Normally I would of just bought 2 tickets to the show and found someone to go with me. But instead, I'm going to be responsible and pass on the show.


commitment is a big deal

2 comments:

  1. "I finally set up my fb status to update my twitter account"

    ... you can do that? Show me how!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might sound more complicated than it is, but it isn't too bad.

    Here is how I did it:

    -go to your Facebook
    - go to inbox, then click notifications tab on the right.
    - Then go down to a link that says "Your notification" (subscription help) at the bottom right. a feed should pop up.
    - copy and paste what is at the top: ie
    "http://www.facebook.com/feeds/notifications.php?id=417030&viewer=417030&key=4e6282a0c1&format=rss20"

    - Then (here is the trick) change "notifications.php" to "status.php" ie
    http://www.facebook.com/feeds/status.php?id=417030&viewer=417030&key=4e6282a0c1&format=rss20

    - Almost there, now create an account at twitterfeed.com (you can use your gmail account)
    - click "create a new feed" (name what you want)
    - in the RSS feed URL put your
    "http://www.facebook.com/feeds/STATUS.php?id=417030&viewer=417030&key=4e6282a0c1&format=rss20"
    we just created.
    - uncheck "post link" box.
    - then save feed and you are set.

    Now your Facebook status will be sent to Twitter via twitterfeed every 30 mins.

    I might of skipped some steps, but hopefully it was enough.

    Let me know if it works.

    ReplyDelete