There are days at work when I really feel like a lawyer. Namely when I'm able to prove another lawyer's argument wrong. (usually in a brief). The other time is when I meet with clients and I know what I am talking about and am able to provide a valuable service. We are getting new computers at work and I really excited about that. I got to choose and order them, which of course I enjoyed very much. Now we have to wait, and I'm not good at that. Also, moving my files over should be fun, and helping get Vista ready for me to use takes me some time as well. I'm starting to look at my personal office as just an extension of my life, like my other bedroom, but the one I work in. I need a new chair, but can't afford one right now. Mine is really cheap, but its a chair and it works.
Tuesday I had a doctor's appointment. It was a follow up for a physical that I had a while back. Last time my blood work turned up really high cholesterol. My doctor was worried, so he ordered that I eat better, etc. I thought it was an aberration and just tried to live my normal life. Well my results from my second blood test came in on Tuesday and my cholesterol jumped 5 more points. It is like old people high. Now I'm going to have to start taking medicine for that. Crazy huh? I do take responsiblity for this though and am not going to say, oh it's genetics...no, its my lifestyle.
Thursday, Erika got some great news. I was so happy and excited for her. It was something she had really wanted and had worked so hard for. I wish I could of been there to celebrate with her, but I'm sure the next time I see her we will celebrate a lot. It is nice to get something that could be potentially stressful out of the way. She now has a wonderful peace of mind and is excited about what is to come.
So Max has a dog house in the back yard. Well Abram's dogs have commandeered it and now Max sleeps outside while the other two sleep in his dog house. He is the smallest of the 3 and they have their own natural order so I stayed out of it. The sad part is when it rains, like it was this morning. Max is out in the rain getting all wet as I open the door and I see running from the dog house two very dry dogs thinking there might be food in store. Max does have this trick where he puts his head in the cat door and it stays dry while only his body gets wet. It is cute and sad at the same time. It is funny though, I wouldn't mind him being out in the rain if all 3 dogs were in the rain, but because two get to be dry, then it makes me feel bad a bit. Well you got to respect dominance, hopefully one day Max will grow up to over take his higher status friends. I hope they enjoy their new backyard.
This Saturday is my nephew Andrew's 18th birthday. Talk about being an adult. Even though he still has a lot to learn about being a man (as do most of us), it is amazing how fast kids grow up. When Abram was 18, I was in college and he was drinking with us at a bar. Andrew is going to be the first grandchild to graduate from high school and go to college. I'm sure he will have a lot of celebrating in store for the weekend.
I was talking to my grandmother the other day about how things were going. I was telling how that for the part things were very positive, but that there were some things that I worried about (debt and health choices), and I tend to over internalize them making the effect of the worry much worse than what I actually think it is. Her answer (second to the one involving God) was just not to worry about it. Her line was, "Don't think so much. Besides, one day we are here and the next day we are not." Of course this was all in spanish and that is the best translation I can put to it. It was so simple, but so much more helpful than the, "don't worry bout it" advice. It is hard sometimes because I don't want her to worry about me since things for me really great.
So many things have changed from being in college 7 years ago. The way I imagined my life is exactly like I had planned. I'm a lawyer working for a firm, I'm living in Texas and I have a dog. Then there are the things I didn't expect. I thought I would be rich by now (though that I dropped the ball on), thought I would own a house, my BMW, and own a lot more suits. I also thought I would think really differently, but other than maturing, I don't feel like a person who could be a dad. I'm really lucky though and very much realize it.
No comments:
Post a Comment