www.flickr.com

Monday, February 23, 2009

Doll

"The word 'meaningful' when used today is nearly always meaningless." - Paul Johnson


I finished watching the first season of the Mentalist this weekend. So far I like it, but it is not a show I'd recommend as must see. I hear it is a lot like Pysch, but I've never seen that show and right now don't have plans to. I'm glad it was only in for a season. I also have the first 3 episodes of Trust Me tivoed (this is a word now), but haven't decided if I'm going to watch that one too.


Another show I checked out last week and followed up on this week was Dollhouse on FOX. I only watched it because Whedon put it together and I was a big fan of Firefly. I once dressed up as a Browncoat for Halloween. I was disappointed with the first episode, but I could see what they were doing, trying to make it more about the plot and not about a girl dressed up in sexy outfits. I guess that they have a lot of time for that in future episodes. I feel like I don't know how I'm going to feel about a show where people are high tech prostitutes who can also be trained to do other cool things. But heart of gold right? I'll give it a shot though because I have faith in him. Dushku has a jacked up face I think (think it is the eyes) , but yet is somewhat attractive nevertheless. Maybe she will grow on me. It feels like Bourne Identity meets Quantum Leap.

I Tivoed the Oscars while I watched the weekend's UFC fight. I then watched it late on Sunday night, fast forwarding the commercials and the boring awards. Well I'm an idiot, I forgot Oscars are notorious for running long, and I didn't add extra time at the end. So when I get to best actress, it ends. It is now very late, but this is the main part. I have to go online to see the acceptance speeches for Actress, Actor, and Best Picture. I'm kind of glad Rourke didn't win. He did great and had he won it would of been fine, but if this is really a come back, hey do it twice, I mean you just played yourself it seems. I heard that the guy who was selling drugs in that movie got busted for selling drugs, but that was word of mouth. I'm happy for Sean Penn, Milk was a good movie. To be honest about the Reader, I feel that the actress should of been nominated for supporting actress...I wonder how they decide that. Best Picture of course was a lock. 'Slumdog' triumphs at Oscars (via cnn) There is no excuse to not see Slumdog Millionaire. I didn't know that main character guy was dating the hot chick and she left her man for him. That is awesome, you know since I can't imagine him not falling for her during the filming. I know, I could be more descriptive, but it is early and there is a lot of good Oscar talk out on the interwebs filled with great detail. I liked KungFu Panda more than Wall*e. The Joker moment was touching I think. Oh and the Pineapple Express intro was so funny. Make me think of: Legalizing Marijuana More Popular Than GOP Leaders (via HuffPost) The Best Oscar Speech Ever "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" -- Kunio Kato, winner of best animated short, said it (via TMZ) Thank you very much right? , but Mr. Roboto is just about the song right?


Good Ole Fox News: Barnes: When Bristol Palin Said That Abstinence ‘Is Not Realistic At All,’ She Meant That It ‘Actually Is Realistic’
As ThinkProgress has previously noted, abstinence-only education has proven to be completely unrealistic. Federal studies have found that abstinence-only sex education “does not keep teenagers from having sex. Neither does it increase or decrease the likelihood that if they do have sex, they will use a condom.”
In November 2007, 10 leading scientists in the field of adolescent sexual and reproductive health warned that abstinence-only education withholds “information that may be
critical to protecting the health of young people.” This past April, health experts told Congress that abstinence-only education programs “have not cut teen pregnancies or sexually transmitted diseases or delayed the age at which sex begins.” (via ThinkProgress)
Don't forget your purity ring. How has experience not taught us better by now? Abstinence and "abstinence only education" are not the same thing.

I'm starting to read Outliers by Malcolm Galdwell. So far I'm really impressed. It has made me rethink a lot of things. Parts remind me of that quote about George Bush, "he was born on third and thought he hit a triple." The whole idea behind birthdays and how they affect outcomes is pretty impressive. Also, the 10,000 hour rule I had heard before, but had completely forgotten. I must be a master of sleeping.

I need more blogs to follow. I wonder which of my facebook friends have blogs that I don't even know about.

I haven't talked too much politics in a while, but there are things that are really bothering me. I get that we are in a terrible recession and something BIG has to be done. This article got me thinking: Sanford Offers Unemployed South Carolina Resident ‘Prayers’ Instead Of Stimulus Funds
I can't believe these Republican governers. You know the talking point, Bush inherited a budget surplus and a strong economy, and he left us with a huge deficit, two wars, (I'll ignore the list of failures I've mentioned in the past), but he still gave us HUGE tax cuts for the rich. So the conservatives got what they wanted, they ran it their way for 8 years and ran our country into the ground. Hey, we kind of elected them right. So now, progressives has the power and need to just go all or nothing with their ideas. I mean if they really believe in their principles, forget about working out deals to placate the conservatives, just do your best to make the BEST plan and push it forward. If your plan fails, you fail and elections will take care of that. But why water down your plans with conservative ideas that haven't worked in exchange for a few Republican votes. There are some great conservative ideas, some progressives agree with, that is the point of picking the best ideas, but I would rather them fail by doing the right thing in a big way than fail bigger by trying to water down their ideas. They need to be strong and since they said they could run this country better, well then do it, and don't let Rush get in your way. Stop worrying about votes, if the country gets better, that is all that matters. - Make them filibuster! I want to see it.

why?

No comments:

Post a Comment