www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Impossible

"Impossible situations can become possible miracles.”- Robert H. Schuller

The Cornell Basketball team is playing amazing, and I'm not just saying that because they are my college team. They not only beat Temple on Friday, but also proved to be the Bigger Red against Wisconsin on Sunday to move into the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. Cornell had never won an NCAA tournament game in the history of the school. They are now playing Kentucky, the best team in the tournament and this is their last chance for a while because Cornell's team is mainly seniors. As one player put it, "after this it's all babies and memories." Cornell is America’s darling Cinderella team in this tournament and I will be pulling for them to pull their biggest upset yet on Thursday night. That said, I threw my bracket out long ago due to all the upsets and it was well worth it. I like that a lot of underdogs have been winning. March Madness is my favorite part of college basketball.

I stayed up Sunday night watching the news as the Historic Healthcare Bill passed the House. I know the Senate still has to pass the fixes, but it really brought joy and hope to my heart. I wanted more, some Americans wanted less, but none of this changes the fact that the Democratic-controlled Congress just approved historic legislation Sunday night extending health care to tens of millions of uninsured Americans while cracking down on insurance company abuses. Check out this great discussion: How Will Health Care Reform Affect You? - Newsweek.
I think the philosophical debate is whether healthcare should be a right or a privilege. I'm on the side that thinks that it is a right. Others do not agree with me, and some make good arguments. The day we as a society decided that people can show up to a hospital and not be denied care, I think we decided that healthcare was more than just a privilege. We are a long way from universal healthcare coverage, but at least we took a step forward as a nation. So, Sarah Palin, this is the "changey" part of that "hopey changey thingy." This debate really brought out the worst in people, preyed on their fears and biases. I know they call them "isolated" instances, but there are too many for my tastes. Politics is a science now and how can you blame people for getting upset when they are fed purposefully crafted phrases like "government takeover" to describe insurance regulation. This sweeping generalization does not discount the fact that there is a debate to be had over the details, over the best way to improve our system, and the many legitimate concerns on the left and the right. I just personally feel that we are a whole lot better off now than what we had just a few days ago. I hope this bends the cost curve and if you don't think it will, well then try to make it better. I am also just one small voice in this debate, but this will have an important impact on my life. I also think it is a great tribute to Ted Kennedy.


On a tangentially related note, I finally filed my taxes and I feel like I paid a lot this year. I gues anything feels like a lot. I do not blame people for hating taxes in the least, but if my taxes are going to be spent on wars and to line the pockets of defense contractors, then I'd rather my money also go to social programs for people truly needing it, like the unemployed -- Also for roads, bridges, fire departments, etc. Too bad I don't get to pick and choose what I think is legit and what is not. I really do hope waste can be cut. That said, no big refund for me this year. I know I said it last year, but this coming year I'm paying an expert to do my taxes for me.

I finally saw Shutter Island. I thought it was a great Martin Scorsese film. This psychological mystery-thriller film was not just impressive because of the plot, but because of how it made you feel during the course of the movie. A film that can evoke that much suspense and thought is really doing something right. I've read mixed reviews, mainly centering around its ending. I thought the last line from the movie was amazing.

I have purchased my plane tickets to Kentucky for my friend Mark's wedding in June. All my friends are growing up. I'm looking forward to it and to meeting his fiancée. It is funny how you can know a lot about a person, but not yet have met them. I had just moved away from DC when she was moving there. I've heard really great things. I think I'm the most excited about visiting the Maker's Mark factory. Excuses to travel to new places is always fun.

Today feels like the type of day you would like to throw a surprise party for a loved one. A quiet day in the middle of the week where friends join together to celebrate a person's special day. For those of you that watch HIMYM, I guess I have the Marshall black tie party in my mind from last night. I'm a big fan of birthdays I guess. My mind drifts away like that.


like a furnace

No comments:

Post a Comment