www.flickr.com

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Impressions

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

This week varied from my usual routine. On Thursday, I had a legal writing seminar downtown. I really need to focus on my writing and the hardest part is re-learning grammar rules and starting from the ground up. I admit it isn't very exciting, but I'd like to be a better writer. The class was great and more so provided the tools and motivation to improve my writing rather than teaching enough material in one day. I even won a book while I there for answering a question, which made me feel wonderful. Now we will see if I take the time to review the materials and begin my own self study. Not only will this help me professionally, it will also help me in my efforts to do other types of writing I enjoy.

Sxsw has been going on all week here in Austin and my friend Marisa from the Valley came into town with a few of her friends to check it out. I met up with them Thursday after I was done with my seminar. I was fighting off a sinus infection, but it's rare that I'm downtown and I didn't want to pass up on catching up with an old friend so I toughed it out. The streets were packed with people and musicians were everywhere. Very alternative looking crowd. It was quite the festive atmosphere and I can see why it is such a strong draw. My friend Christina was supposed to come out that night with her cousin, but those plans fell through. It probably worked out for the best considering she had to work the next morning.

We met up for pizza after they got out of a show where I got to meet Marisa's friends Robert and Debbie. They are good people and I'm glad I met them. I hope I made an impression. We saw some live music in a bar for a while and rested a bit since they had just spend hours standing in the front row at a concert where Marisa had a pick given to her by a band member. There was a lot of walking involved considering how many venues had things going on. After enough time on 6th street, I took them down to west 6th street and we saw a band that had a real life harp. I'm talking full sized angel harp. The band was very good and I regret not catching their name. Marisa's description of her weekend at this point was that it was something only Austin could provide. I paraphrase badly because my memory is hazy. We next headed to an Irish pub, a day after St. Paddy's, on Robert's request. He really enjoyed their beer selection and we had the usual chats about life experiences that men have when drinking. Robert told me that he heard they planned to close soon. I hope that is not true. Marisa introduced me to fried pickles, of which I am thankful. Debbie and I found out that we had very different opinions on the use of pre-judging people based on limited data, but a lot was learned on my part. I was very impressed that they were able to stay out all day and after the pub we called it a night. They were heading back the next day.


Friday I had a sinus infection so I stayed home from work. I reference my exact aliment because I'm proud of myself for figuring out that it was not a cold, the flu, or allergies. WebMD you are a good friend and probably make me a bad patient. I had missed Thursday already, so I'm sure that I'm going to have a lot of work when I return on Monday, but it is hard to think when you are feeling this sick. I curse this immune system, but its of my own making. For the most part, I'm actually a lot healthier than I used to be, but it is not easy to tell. Friday was mainly a blur.

I did watch Cornell play in the first round of the NCAA tournament with some alumni. The team was amazing and made quick work of Temple. It felt great to be proud of my alma mater and cheer for my Big Red. Especially considering Texas broke my heart the night before. I met some interesting people and one in particular who so jovial and energetic that it was really a pleasure to get to know her. A kind person with a genuine smile really makes a good impression. Unfortunately, I was trying so hard to not look deathly ill that I probably came off as very quiet. It was a good experience.

I wanted so badly to spend the rest of my weekend out on the town enjoying free concert after free concert, but instead I spent it at home recovering. Luckily for me, there the NCAA tournament was on, so that kept me somewhat distracted. My bracket is so busted I don't even bother looking at it anymore. I also got in some reading, which I'm noticing that I'm doing less of lately.

I also saw the HBO replay of the Pacquiao boxing match at Cowboy's Stadium. Though I had hoped he would be fighting Mayweather, I thought it was an interesting enough fight. My favorite part of the fight was during the pre-fight when Max Kellerman said, “Pacquiao is – he’s the best show on TV. It’s not just comparing him to other athletes. It’s like you have to look for other comparisons. He’s like ‘Chappelle Show.’ You know, the best show on TV, and you want to enjoy him while he’s here. He’s like the political talk host Rachel Maddow. He’s so prepared. He’s so persuasive that he embarrasses the opposition. He’s a spectacle.” Such a great description.


get back up and try again

No comments:

Post a Comment