www.flickr.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kind of morning that lasts all afternoon

"The more original a discovery, the more obvious it seems afterward." - Arthur Koestler

Monday night I saw John Mayer live in concert for the first time. It was a great show. I was surprised to see that it was much more about the music than the lyrics. The sound was awesome and it impressed me very much. I also enjoyed the show part of it. It has been a while since I have been to a concert where I knew all the songs that were going to be played. I remember when John Mayer first was getting to be known and a friend of mine told me he had seen him and even met him at some of the smaller venues in Austin. Those many years ago, I thought it would be cool to see him in Austin and it finally happened. You would not believe how many girls where there.

He even did a cover of Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. That was a nice surprise. Here is a video of that. He didn't get to my favorite part of the song, but it was still cool. I love that there are so many concerts in Austin.


Last Friday night, I went to see State Radio with Abram and Christina. They are an alternative rock band that I first saw at Austin City Limits, but that Abram has been a fan of for a long time. They inject a punk-influenced sound and politically charged viewpoint while staying true to the tenets of the band's chosen style, which infuses a blend of Roots-Reggae, Ska, Punk and Rock. They seem to care a lot about "inspiring public service" and "promoting human rights." I had a good time, but I don't know if I was that much of a fan of the venue. I was pretty tired from being out late the night before because of the stand up thing. After, we had a few drinks and hit a few bars. It was a good start to the weekend. I think I saw one of the morning DJs at a bar.

This Wednesday, the 10th, my niece Celeste turned two years old. She is my little sister Eliza's daughter. Those two years went by fast. I can say that of course because I didn't have to watch her every second for those 2 years making sure she was ok. Being a parent looks like a lot of work, but being an uncle is a lot more fun I think. I can't believe I've been an uncle for almost 20 years now. Celeste is a pretty awesome baby, but I know everyone thinks that about family, so I won't gush. I hear she has a problem with opening the refrigerator when no one is looking. It will probably be a while before she is old enough to remember these moments, but I think they have to shape who she is.

This past Sunday was the Austin Kite Festival, but it was postponed due to rain to this coming Sunday. I'm hoping to check that out. I hope people fight kites like in the Kite Runner, but I highly doubt it. That would be so cool. It also marks that Spring is here. The weather has been so nice and even though I'm not looking forward to the allergies, I'm enjoying the freshness of the cool air.

Sunday was the Oscars. I feel guilty for not really caring. I had seen most of the movies up for awards and thought it was awesome that Sandra Bullock won a razzie and an Oscar in the same year. I think best picture should have gone to Avatar. I get the reasons people dislike it, Pocahontas in Space, etc, but how can a movie revolutionize movie making, but not be the best movie of the year? I just fast forwarded through it to see the winners and finally just waited for the final list to come after. I wish I understood why Up in the Air was so highly regarded and why 500 Days of Summer was not nominated.

So most of that was journaling, so I figured I'd talk about a study to close.

Most of the studies I run across have to do with relationships for some reason and most seem to be negative. That isn't very good. Maybe I should read the Notebook or something more positive to get a brighter view on things. So according to AshelyMadison, a dating site for married people, Doctors, Stay-At-Home Moms Likely To Cheat: Survey. Here is why I found this survey interesting, here was the breakdown of professions:

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
4. Administrative Assistants
5. Real Estate Agents

Is it me or are these just stereotypical jobs for each gender? Of all those, the survey said that doctors and teachers are most likely to cheat. I know a few of those. This whole survey doesn't seem to be very helpful or say anything too important. That said, this isn't really scientific I don't think, so it seems more like an advertisement for the website. I wonder if a husband and wife and have found eatch other on this site? It could be like a modern day version of that song, Escape by Rupert Holmes, "do you like pina coladas?" I never got that song, they both were trying to cheat on each other and it was sweet because they did it with each other. Relatedly, Plan B: Fallback Birth Control Gaining Popularity.

is to see how far I fall

No comments:

Post a Comment