Friday after work I met up with Oscar at his new Condo. There was a new homeowners social that I attended with him. Nothing like free beer and food to start off the weekend. I have to say, it really made me want to be a homeowner. We met some pretty cool people. I have to tell you how impressed I was to meet people who all had pretty impressive careers. It was like, you're my age, you have an impressive degree, a sweet job and a nice condo. I guess I have something to strive toward. Oscar's place was pretty neat and I think he will really end up liking it there. He is still moving in. That guy has done pretty damn well for himself. I had too much to drink though and didn't have a ride downtown for Friday night, so I just called it a night when I got home.
I was shopping at Target during lunch to buy some random things, including the exciting cat food and shampoo. While I was there I noticed the darnedest thing....college kids and their parents shopping for their first year of college. There was even an entire college section, which I thought was a good idea, and kids picking out things they feel they will need, but will soon find out they don't. There was a boy, I mean he seemed like a young kid and his mom is helping him buy bathroom stuff while lecturing him to wait until he and his roommate can talk and divide up the things they are going to buy so that they don't have two of something. You could tell she was losing the control she was so used to as he was leaving the nest, he seemed very concentrated on finding that shower caddie. I should be helping my nephew prepare for his freshman year of college, having to live in a dorm, being on his own with a bunch of new strangers, only to bond with a few that will become life long friends....but I didn't play an important enough role to make that happen. I guess everyone has a different path and it isn't my place to dictate the paths of others.
It makes me think about how lucky I was to attend the JBA summer program as a kid. I was in 8th going to 9th grade and I flew up to Missouri all on my own to live in a dorm with other kids I didn't know. (I did have a few classmates attend as well, which was super helpful.) I wasn't very homesick and knew that there was a world out there and I was destined to explore. I headed back the following year, this time a veteran of the camp ready for another summer of pretending to be older than I was. I now had friends all over the country and the world just got a lot smaller. I would stay friends with many until the present day. Then in late high school I attended 3 other camps, 2 in Texas and one at Dartmouth. I now knew what to expect when it came to living in a dorm, but was still in no way prepared for the real thing. When I left for college, I wasn't as much prepared as excited to be off on my own making my own path ready for a new adventure. It is like training wheels for life almost. After that, I never thought twice about moving anywhere, to DC, Miami or even visiting Europe. I knew I could always find a way and most importantly that home would always be there for me to return to. Kind of like touching base and then taking off again. I thought right after that that was the best time, but it does get even better.
This weekend was one of those lazy feeling down, staying in bed watching tv weekends. I haven't had a weekend like that in a very long time, but sometimes I forget that only I can let myself feel that way and it is wrong to think that someone made me feel that way. That lesson is a hard one to learn. I watched a lot of Olympics. I even watched stuff online that hadn't been played on TV yet. The highlight was the moment: Phelps Wins 8th Gold: Breaks Spitz's Record. I never much cared for swimming, but I got caught up in the hype. The fastest guy alive is pretty damn fast.
In celebrity news: I learned last week that John Mayer and Jennifer Aniston broke up. I guess I follow celebrity gossip more than I thought I did. Here is an article: John Mayer On Aniston Breakup: "I Ended A Relationship To Be Alone". Some of the reasons he gives, I know I have used in ending a relationship. They seemed like they would make a good match, then again, how would I even know. There was also an article last week that discussed how: Women are only seven percent less likely to cheat than men, according to a study released this week from the University of New Hampshire. Yet men seem to get most of the blame. I wonder how they conduct these studies.
Hey! Sorry about Friday night! my understanding was you were going to meet up with us after Oscars thing....
ReplyDeleteNothing to be sorry about. I should of had less to drink at the social.
ReplyDelete