Bagger Vance: Ain't a soul on this entire earth ain't got a burden to carry he don't understand, you ain't alone in that... But you been carryin' this one long enough... Time to go on... lay it down...
Rannulph Junuh: I don't know how...
Bagger Vance: You got a choice... You can stop... Or you can start...
Rannulph Junuh: Start?
Bagger Vance: Walkin...
Rannulph Junuh: Where?
Bagger Vance: Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember...
Rannulph Junuh: It's too long ago...
Bagger Vance: Oh no sir it was just a moment ago...
- The Legend of Bagger Vance
Jorge is having his bachelor party this weekend in Vegas. I will be missing it because I decided to save my money for the actual wedding. The hotel alone is going to be an expense. A financially responsible decision I think, but not an easy one. I'm sure they are going to have a great time. I've never been to one, so it would of been great. Maybe I'll have my own personal bachelor party here in Austin for him even though he can't attend. I have RSVPed and finally did reserve my hotel for the wedding now, so I'm all set, except for a matter of a grey suit and wedding gift.
Saturday night I went with Rino to play poker with his friends in Round Rock. Last time we played I got 2nd place to a guy named Ryan. This time I knew that my only improvement could be first, but that odds were that I could only go downward. We had a lot more players this time, 12 instead of 8. I played ok, but I was running a bit card dead. There was a point where I was really touching felt and was ready to make a graceful exit. But I was able to pull myself together and slowly get back into the game. I ended up heads up again Ryan again. This time I had the 2-1 chip advantage. Blinds were pretty high and I went in for the kill. I ran into a pair on my push and he doubled through me. Then a few hands later I pushed again to try to get even and I ran into aces. That seals the game and I took 2nd place again. I was happy with the 80 bucks, but I of course would of rather gotten 1st. To pull out 2nd without having Jacks or higher all night isn't too bad, but there were improvements I could of made. I'm looking forward to next time.
I'm not fully informed on this subject, but I want to say that I once heard that Republicans use the term "Democrat" (noun.) instead of "Democratic" (adj.) as a way of being disrespectful. So instead of the Democratic Congress or Democratic Party, they say the Democrat Congress or Democrat Party. Just keep an ear out when Republicans speak and see how often they go out of their way to use the term "Democrat" instead of "Democratic." I have seen Republicans get smarter and use the term Democrat (noun) led Congress, which seems more correct. Wouldn't Democrats sound stupid if they started saying "Republics"? I don't know, it just annoys the heck out of me when it seems like they are going out of their way to be jerks. I did find this statement: The incorrect usage was also recommended by Newt Gingrich (later supported by the focus group research of Frank Luntz) in his wonderfully-titled, 1990 memo, “Language as Key Mechanism of Control.” You know the joke around here about “getting the memo”? In this case, the memo actually exists.”
FreeCreditReport.com Commercials Lying To You: Credit Reports Are Not Free: AnnualCreditReport.com is the actual free credit report website. I think the commercials are misleading.
The mind is a tricky thing. Here is a good example. Beer. You can get so drunk one night that in the morning even the though of beer makes you sick. You tell yourself that you will never drink again, that it is bad for you and that you don't even like it. Then a few days later, there you are, thinking about drinking. You go through the whole ordeal again, learning the same lesson and wondering why you didn't learn from the first experience. This happens a lot to me, but in difference circumstances. I understand that there are benefits, and usually those benefits are short term, so you quickly act on them and then when used up, all you can see is the long term and what a big mistake you made. Now don't get me wrong, I am in no way advocating not drinking, just trying to find examples where I use selective memory to justify decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment