"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature. "- Marcus Aurelius (121-180 AD)
This quote really made sense for me. I don't think much about my daily thoughts, but even though one particular thought may not be too important, if you add them up over the course the of the day, it really says a lot about your life. What the majority of your thoughts are about are probably influenced by your attitude or is it the other way around? It is something I try to monitor when I'm being self aware, but I tend to usually fall back into the walking day dream that is my life. Who you are seems to just add up as you are doing things in life and its is something you can only see in retrospect looking back. It's much more important than all that just be positive bs we have been fed as the solution to all your problems. It is just hard to accept that my interpretation of reality is so subjective and affected by my mood, my diet and other external factors that have nothing to do with the event I'm actually reacting to. I may never live in an objective reality, but if I'm going to live in this world created by my mind, I'd better try my best to make it the most exciting and fulfilling one I can.
Friday, I thought it might snow here in Austin. That is a rare event and one I was very much looking forward to it. I grew up in South Texas where I never saw snow as a child. I dreamed of it happening like I saw on TV, but that day wouldn't come until the Valley Christmas Snow of 2004. When I left for college, the first time I saw snow was in the late fall of 1998 in Ithaca, NY. I was like a child in the snow and it was all it was imagined in my mind to be. I did not know I would spent the next 4 years covered in snow. Oh how I learned to hate the snow, especially the dirty slush it would become. Even when I moved farther away from the snow in DC, it was still more troublesome than fanciful. I have now been away from the snow for 3 years and after the summer drought we had, I'd be excited once again to see it. Too bad it didn't end up snowing here. I saw a few snow flakes after lunch but that is all.
Thursday, I got pretty great news. My really good college friend and his wife (another good college friend) are going to have a baby. Another human life. I know a lot of people with children, mainly family, since I'm now at an age where it makes sense to have kids, but this is the first really close inner circle friend of mine to be starting a family. As an uncle 7 times over, I feel like I'm adding a new nephew/niece to the list even though I'm sure the kid will meet me like once growing up since I live so far away. I don't care how rarely I see the kid, I want my Tio status. In college I would joke about being their unemployed Tio Marty living in their parents garage. Maybe instead I'll be their successful Tio Marty. I'm very happy for them, like more than I thought I would be in the abstract.
There is one episode of Glee left before the show goes on hiatus. Try as I may to stay away from the show, I've come to enjoy the music. I understand that my enjoyment of what are essential showtunes is something I'm not to proud to admit, but it is good, so I won't worry about too much. Next thing you will know, I'll be sewing. In reading up on the show, I found it interesting that most the characters seem to be 23 years old. The main character is really growing on me. Here is something I read about the show that I liked, "Just who are these people in the band and where do they come from? If they're fellow music nerds, why wouldn't they just be in the Glee club? And how long are we going to go on using them and pretending they're not there? Shouldn't one of them get a joke or a story line or ask Mercedes out on a date or something?" So who are they I wonder? Now you will too.
she doesn't look at me that way
No comments:
Post a Comment