"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he doesn't become a monster." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Looking at all the people and their signs, I think about the election of 1860. This was quite the presidential election between Lincoln, Douglas, Breck and Bell. Bell actually wins this election, though History might tell you that Lincoln won and freed the slaves or something or other. What I learned as a campaign manager for Bell was that when people campaign, they become ruthless assholes. At first its just motivation and enjoyment of cheering for your side, but as time goes on and the stakes increase, they become angry and really start to hate the other side. There was this one girl who I thought was the sweetest thing and watching her become a total bitch really threw me off. I later saw her become this way during a game of Taboo, which tells you that people show their true colors when it comes to competition. So as I walk around and see these Bush idiots, I get really angry and I see their anger. My anger is motivated in where Bush has taken our country, their anger is about wanting to win. Looking at the jerks outside the polling place (on both sides) makes me want to go and counter them, but I worry I'll become one of them.
I saw P.Diddy on CNN this morning, what an idiot. He was talking about how the first time he voted was in 2000 and how he was disenfranchise. So Bill Hemmer was like, but you got to vote and your vote counted so how were you disenfranchised? P.Diddy said it was because politicians don't care about the young and minority vote, and it made him feel ba.d or something. I hate it when people use words they don't understand, i.e. disenfranchise, and I hate it more when what they do (he get out to vote or die drive) means they should know what that word means. I have said the same about Andre 3000 or whatever his name is, he never voted before either, why are these guys role models for voting. How about people that actually care, people that actually vote.
Juan voted today in NYC. He is proud because he kept his position of voting for Bush. We gave him hundreds of reasons not to vote for Bush and yet he felt it was more important to stick to his stance right or wrong rather than evaluate new information and change. I am proud he voted since it was his first time since becoming a citizen, but if an intelligent person like Juan can be blinded by what is happening in the world, how can I say that all those other Bush supporters are misguided. Hopefully NY goes to Kerry and it won't matter, but its still one more popular vote for the republicans. Jorge has stated he will vote for Nader, a position I don't agree with, but I respect so much more than Juan's. Then again, who I am to be the judge on these people and their votes, well its my page so I guess I can do what I want.
Fed and Jane are working for the election protection group, Angie is working at her non-profit and the Kerry campaign and I'm here at school. I will probably regret not being active enough, but I have my open memo re-write due today. I guess I just don't think that holding a sign is going to be much help this late in the game, and I didn't do election protection training, so I shouldn't be bothering around the polls. I probably could of given rides, but I have a truck and one person at a time wouldn't be much help. Excuses excuses I guess, but I voted which is what is important.
this is sort of equivalent
No comments:
Post a Comment