www.flickr.com

Friday, May 01, 2009

Vocational Paradigm Shift

"People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing - that’s why we recommend it daily." —Zig Ziglar


I'm really feeling that long term motivation gap today. It is easy to do anything for a few days, even a week, but even easier to go back to the old patterns of doing nothing, or much worse doing all the things that got you into your original position. It isn't a pep talk I need, or the will power, but a pay off for doing the right things. Just like in poker, you make a play with the best odds, but when you lose, you have to have faith that in the long run the odds will make you profitable. Of course, the problem comes when people are making a bad probability play and thinking that it is actually the correct play, so it is more important to figure out what the right play is first. I digress. Saving money doesn't have a quick payoff, but eating a big mac does. Hence, why one is much easier to do than the other. I need to learn that although seeing the right things to do as a chore can make you feel a lovely virtuous, slightly self-righteous glow when you do make it to the gym or do not buy that dvd player online, that mindset is unlikely to help you to stick these activities in the longer term. How do I make these things I enjoy and look forward to.

Thursday was Abram's last day at his current job. He decided to leave for bigger and better things and I think he made the right decision. We all went out after work on Thursday to celebrate. I was also selfishly celebrating the recent case we won. I started off by going to this Mexican restaurant to get some margaritas. I was there for about 45 mins all alone, so I just drank and listened to music. Later Abram joined me and we had dinner and more drinks. From there we met up with Oscar on West 6th Street. I thought we would have some drinks there and then call it a night. Next thing I know, it is 7 hours later, past midnight, and I'm trying to get home as Abram and Oscar venture off to a new adventure. It was a fun time time, but man how I'm paying for it right now.

I miss my best friends from college. There is just something about having 3 different viewpoints and personalities to see yourself reflected in. There is also something about college and interacting with people 24/7 where you really get to know them. Now you see people at work, your friends when you go out, but never are you just sitting there bored and procrastinating from studying talking about randomness and plans. You just really get to know people. This is just a reminder to myself that I should do a better job of keeping up with my friends.


Next weekend is Mother's Day and I'll be heading down to the Valley to visit my mother for my cousin's wedding. The trip is long, but it is one I've done enough times. Abram and Rino should be down too. Today I got my oil on my car changed at the dealership, so I don't have to worry about there being any mechanical problems on my trip down. It was a very long wait though.


Mark reminded me of an old saying: "Mixing religion and politics is like mixing ice cream and manure. It doesn't do much to the manure, but it sure does ruin the ice cream." I wonder which is which in this analogy. Either way, the topic has been on my mind as of late.

Did you know that Church Going Americans More Likely To Support Torture .

You know what, I hate the fake apology. The one where you say, for example, "I'm sorry if you were offended (or if you took offense) by what I said." That is much different from saying "I am sorry for hurting you." The first one blames the victim, by saying 'if' for some unknown reason they were 'offended' then well you apologize even though you are not quite sure what for. Here is a good example that is in the news.

Rep. Foxx backtracks: My Matthew Shepard comments were ‘a poor choice of words.’
Foxx's office released a statement, saying that calling the details of his murder a "hoax" was a "poor choice of words." "I am especially sorry if his grieving family was offended by my statement."

She isn't sorry "she offended the family", she is sorry "if his...family was offended." That is different and she really takes no responsibility and it almost sounds like she is apologizing for them in a way because they took offense. Also, how do we know how she really feels, well she said she still stands by her belief that Shepard's murder may not have been motivated by hate.

Alabama Man Sleeps With Gun, Shoots Himself
I think this is a good lesson for gun owners everywhere. Once again, I'm waiting for the story where the guy sleeping with the gun under his pillow was the hometown hero by saving his family from attacking ninjas trying to kill his children and steal their toys. Though the story about the guy with the gun under his pillow getting pissed off at his wife and killing her, well that story you hear all the time. Now don't get me wrong, he has a right to have that gun and sleep with it, but it doesn't mean it isn't stupid. I just think people should be more responsible about things like this.

Real Life Twittering (VIDEO)
Ever imagined what it would be like to say the things you Twitter out loud? How about saying them out loud in public? Well Dan Gurewitch from College Humor undertook that experiment speaking in tweets in Union Square and getting appropriately odd looks. This is probably a good test of what you should and should not Twitter: If you wouldn't say it to someone in the room, don't say it to the entire Web.

Cute/Ridiculous Animal Thing Of The Day: Kitten Vs. Fan (VIDEO)















Have a good weekend!

Arlen must of asked, how do you fix something that no longer wants your fixing

No comments:

Post a Comment