"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to change the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." - E.B. White
Welcome 2005. 2004 was a good one, a year of a lot of change and emotional ups and downs. I'm in a completely different place than I could have ever imagined a year ago. I wonder what 2005 has in store for me. Change is always uncomfortable, but I forsee a lot more change in the next year and moreso in the ones to hopefully come.
Abram went back up to San Marcos for New Years, and Ana threw a party at her place. I went there for a while and spent time with her, Eliza and my nieces and nephews and then I went to Rick's place where we had a BBQ. Juan was the resident chef and did a great job on the fajitas. We had a good time and ended the night playing a bit of poker, which went well for me, but I learned that my heads up play is really lacking. This year I have a lot of things I plan to do, but they are not resolutions, just goals I figure I'll work harder towards. Like the list of books I want to read, the list gets longer and longer.
Today I helped my mom put away the Christmas tree, despite my objections that we wait until after 3 kings day. This was the first year I learned about a food you eat on new years and how you are supposed to eat grapes. You learn something new all the time I guess. After putting away the tree, I noticed my mom's make up bag, and then it hit me, it was the gift I got her for christmas last year. Well it wasn't a makeup bag, but a bath and body works bag she now uses for her makeup. So now I know that it was a good gift. I helped her order a dell computer online, since she is getting more computer literate and the one she has is so messed up it isn't even useable for anything, maybe not even typing. It won't come in until after I am gone, but this summer when I return, I hope to set it up for her now that she will have had lots of practice with it.
Today I spent a lot of time watching football. The Texas v. Michigan Rose Bowl was amazing. Herbert called me from the game in the fourth quater and it was so loud, he was having a great time. Texas won on a last second field goal and I learned V. Young was an amazing athelete.
People always say it is easier to give advice than follow your own, which in practice is so true. When I talk to other people about their decisions and choices in life sometimes I find myself really talking to myself. It is so clear when you see it from out here, but inside it never seems so clear. So I have learned that hearing other people's problems really helps me deal with my own. Right now I wish people would make decision based on what is best in the long run, not was is easier or less bad in the short run. Sometimes we don't feel like there are options, but that is because options were not something you learned to look for.
I was told a funny story and told it was true and recent, but it has gone through the grapevine a bit. So this lady was driving her car on the way the mall and hit a cat. She stopped and felt so bad for the cat, she wrapped it up in paper and took it with to bury it when she got home She gets the mall and doesn't want the dead cat to stink up the car so she puts it in a neemun marcus bag she had in the car and put it outside the car to get when she finished her business at the mall. This other lady saw the abandoned bag and walked nonchantly next to it and picked it up and walked with it into the mall. She takes her stolen bag and goes to the foodcourt and sits down to eat. She then looks into the bag and is horrified and starts to scream and falls and hurts herself. They had to call the ambulence and maybe she was passed out I think. So when they get her, they put her in the ambulence and then some good samartian notices her bag and gets it for her and then they put it on top of her in the ambulence as the door close. Moral of the story, don't steal stuff cause it might be a dead cat. According to the story, the people saw her hurt and all, but didn't claim the bag because they feared getting in trouble and explaining the dead cat and why it was in the bag and why a stranger had it since it would be more trouble than standing quiet and I think laughing a bit.
time to move past just potential
No comments:
Post a Comment