www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Goodbye Madrid

On Saturday, 6/25/05, I slept in due to the night of drinking and then made my way on the bus to Madrid. I wanted to spend my last weekend there. We had lunch at Burger King and then saw Madagascar. It was a lot of working trying to find it there in English. Afterwards I purchased 3 movies, all of which are in Spanish. At night, we went to dinner at this nice Spanish restaurant.

On Sunday, 6/26/05, I woke up early and the plan was to meet with Bianca, but she was not there. So we left a note at the hotel to come back and meet us at 2pm. After walking around town and such, we returned at 1:50pm and she had not come by. I figured she wasn’t coming, so I told the guy to throw away the note and walked out. Before I decided where to walk, I stopped because there was a fight ensuing between a homeless man and some jerk. I sat down at a bench and just watched. At 2:05pm, guess who comes walking? Yup, Bianca. Talk about fortunate.
We go to BK for Bianca and she catches us up on things. After, we walk to the palace, but once again it was closed. I didn’t mind because I didn’t really want to go anyway. Then we decide to go see Batman, but on the way, we stop by and do some shopping and run into a tarot card reader. We all pay for our fortunes and it was interesting. For Bianca, she knew about the two guys in her life, her father and that she had a little girl. For me, she said I was a good student, but I let my emotions affect my work and didn’t do well in college. Told me to leave my past behind and focus on the future. She did call out that I had a 3 year relationship and knew some key details about it. For Sarah Beth, she said how wonderful of a person she was and talked about her boyfriends. Overall I learned nothing, but it was entertaining.

That took so much time that we didn’t get to see Batman and then we got on the train to Ventas to see a bullfight in Plaza de Toros. It was quite the experience and once you get over the blood and unfairness of the whole thing, plus the killing part, it wasn’t too bad of a time. I’ll never go back though and after a while just got bored and was hoping to see the people hurt, which just isn’t right. Bianca enjoyed it and Sarah Beth complained the whole time, though she should of expected that a bull (well 6) was going to get killed. Sherry also enjoyed it and Rob got into it late.

After the fight, we picked our stuff up and took a bus back to El Escorial. The bus was full so we had to stand the entire time, but I just sat on the side steps for the whole bus ride (45 mins). At night we arrived, it was very late and everything was closed so when we arrived at the Chinese food restaurant past midnight, we were impressed that they were willing to still sell us food. Talk about hard working. We took the food back to the hotel and had a very large and very late dinner.

On, 6/27/05, not much happened. I spent the day packing and we had a farewell dinner with our professors.

My final day, 6/28/05, I overslept, but Bianca called me to wake me up. I checked out in a rush. I said goodbye to Sarah Beth, who had become such a wonderful friend during this past month. It was very hard to go, but the stress of missing my plane made me have to hurry. Sarah Beth is now going to travel Spain alone for the next 2 weeks, something I wish I could do, but I need to get back for my summer job.

Bianca also had to catch a flight, so she came on my same bus. We both made it to the airport ok, but man we carried a lot of stuff. I said goodbye to her in the terminal and then made my way alone to my ticket counter. After security, I ended up paying too much for a cd and dvd that I thought would be cheap because they were tax free, but nope. I applied for my refund from Italy and got on my flight.

On the plane I sat next to a Spanish lady who was a teacher taking all these kids to the US for the summer to study English. We talked in Spanish the whole time and it was probably the most I talked the entire trip. 9 hours goes by very slow. I asked her about the hard bread, and the styles in Spain. The kids told me how much they love Jamon and one girl even packed a sandwich because she feared America having bad food. I wanted to tell her our food was so much better, but I guess you like what you know.

I arrive in Miami and it feels like back into reality. Fed picks me up and we go by Pollo Tropical. I see my cats and they are happy to see me, but still very angry I left them for so very long. I sleep on the couch and not very well.

So here are my large generalizations about my experiences. The fashion is very different, but I started to get used to it. I can’t exactly explain how, but the guys do wear a lot of puma stuff. The girls not as attractive as I expected. Most don’t have hips and no asses, but most are very skinny, which is good. Spanish girls have very nice brown eyes, but though they are nice, I think they are somewhat close to each other compared to what I am used to. The food sucks, at least for my tastes. I didn’t get to see my band (La Oreja), but I tried very hard. I don’t know if I’ll get used to the sun not going down at 10PM. Your days seem so much longer, yet it explains why I always needed my siesta. I loved those.

No comments:

Post a Comment