www.flickr.com

Friday, January 05, 2007

The Holidays

"Practice yourself what you preach." - Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Asinaria

I was home for the holidays. It was a long time, but yet it went by so fast. Let me talk about the highlights since I didn't do any writing on vacation. I'm glad I got to see my family and friends. So finals end in Dec. and I am exhausted. I finish up my final papers and pack up for my flight. I arrive in Texas on the 20th and my sister Ana picks me up. Erika had her last day of work. We went to the mall but since I hadn't slept all night, I wasn't much in the shopping mood. I don't get to see Erika until much later that night and she bears with me and how sleepy I was. I stayed with her most of the trip, which started to feel really normal by the end. The 21st I take my nieces and nephew to the movies with some free tickets I was able to get. They behaved for the most part. The next thing I remember is on the 23rd I went to my uncle's house for an Alaniz family party. I don't get to see that side of the family much so I had a very good time seeing people who are related to me. People I hadn't seen in about 15 years and I haven't been alive very long. He built a new house and it was the first time I had seen it finished.

Christmas eve is when my family opens presents. I ask why too much, but that is when we do it. Erika came over and everyone ate and opened presents. The kids had a good time and I hope my family enjoyed what I got them. On Christmas, Bekkah and Jamie came over and opened their presents. I took them to see a movie the next day. I then went with Erika to spend Christmas day with her family. I got to meet a lot of people and by the end of the trip, I feel like I know who most people are. I got to see my first white elephant exchange and Romo blow it for the Cowboys. At night, we met up with Erika's cousins and played board games at her house. It was a very good time. I like board games. The next day was my Dad's bday. At night I went to a pool hall as saw my friends.

On the 27th, I turned 27. It was one of my most enjoyable birthdays. We did the usual going to Red Lobster lunch with my family, then a nap and at night I went to placed called Hillbilies with my friends. I also got a lot of very nice presents from Erika. From a nice watch to all kinds of thoughtful gifts that I was really thankful for (including Christmas gifts). I don't feel like I'm pushing 30 yet.
The 28th I went to visit my grandparents in Harlingen. I got to see some cousins, play poker for a bit and then at night meet up with a cousin of mine from Houston who I hadn't seen in year. We met up with Ana and Eliza at a bar. Erika joined us later. The night ended with darts.

The 29th I was invited to play cards with Erika's family. I enjoyed it and learned a lot of cards games that I did not know. I broke even, which I'm happy about. I also got to work on learning who more people are.

The 30th I made another trip to the mall, and at night we went to see a UFC fight with Rick. The food was great and we hung out with Sandy and Vera.
New years eve I had lunch with my mom, got her tire fixed and went to Eliza's place. It was the first time I saw it and very nice. I'm looking forward to getting my own place when I move home. At night I went with Erika's to her family's new years celebration. They had food and fireworks. It was fun and bringing in New Years was so much better than last year since I got to spend it with someone I love. I also had fun with the fireworks. It was a bit cold, but I also got to play bingo.

After new years, we made some trips to Target to get Erika's bar stools and I started to realize how fast time was moving. Erika's parents took us out to dinner at a very nice place. The steak was the best I had had in a long time. On the 3rd we ordered a botana and I saw my family for the last time before I was going to leave. Then we went bowling.

The 4th snuck up on me and it sucked having to get on the plane. Erika was sweet enough to take me. I have one more semester to go before I finally be done.

When I got home, my cats missed me but man how my house smelled. I guess that is what happens when you put out 6 litter boxes. Now I'm just cleaning up and trying to get ready for class next week. I don't think I have been mentally ready for school since 2 years ago.

So that was a short time line summary of my trip home. It is mainly there to trigger my memories when I look back on my trip. There was so much I didn't talk about and so much I forgot, from seeing another movie, to more trips to the mall. The best part was spending it with Erika and getting to know her better. I was able to see the people that cared about me and even learn some important lessons.

faith and trust

No comments:

Post a Comment