www.flickr.com

Friday, June 06, 2008

Gift Card

"Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk." - Joaquin Setanti

So I used my gift card to purchase the nightstand I've been waiting for. I was upset over the ridiculous price of shipping, but what could I do? I had to use the gift card and it is the matching nightstand. I will not deal with furniture companies anymore. It should be delivered next week, so more waiting. It will be nice to have a complete room.

The Celtics won game 1. Of course they did. Karma has a way of always working out I think. I saw the beginning of the game, but then had to leave so I didn't know who on until later. My guess is Celtics in 6.

Here are some web facts about cars:

J.D. Power: The best new cars: Category: Compact SUV: 1st place: Honda CR-V. Just wanted to share that.


Here's a great quote from a book called Radical Honesty. I have yet to read it, but it is on my list. Read it closely.

"Because of being lost in our own minds, we fail to recognize that the truth changes. When the truth changes and we fail to recognize what has now become true, while holding on to the idea of what used to be true, we become liars committing suicide."

"If at 8PM I am mad at you and tell you about it, get quite worked up over it, and you get mad back and we talk about it and we stay committed to the conversation and to the possibility of getting over our anger, there's a good chance that by 8:45pm we can laugh and have a drink and not be angry anymore. It was true, that I hated your guts, at 8pm. It was no longer true somewhere between 8:20 and 8:45. In contrast, people who live according to principals like 'I hated you then, and for good reason, so I still hate you now', can't get over things.

And the author goes on to say, "This is reasonable... but stupid. I have seen a lot of reasonably stupid people in my life. Life goes on and the truth changes. This just happens to be the way life is. What was once true is often no longer true just a little while later. Yesterday's truth is today's bull shit. Even yesterday's liberating insight is today's jail of stale explanation. Roles and rules are also thoughts which when grasped onto to its principals are hard for people to get over, or beyond, or let change. People choke the life out of themselves by tying themselves to a chosen self image, any self image whatsoever. Many adults remain on a perpetual adolescence, locked on the protective confinement of a limited set of roles and rules."

This is an important lesson for me to learn I think.

I don't really have plans for this weekend. If I were in school like others I would probably be celebrating that the school year is over and now it is summer time. But instead I'll be headed back to work on Monday like most of us. I am looking forward to July 4th, it is on a Friday so that 3 day weekend I want to do something nice for.

Why You Should Eat First, Decide Later:

"Big decisions are best made on a full stomach, research suggests.
Skipping meals lowers levels of a brain chemical key in keeping careless and impulsive behaviour in check.
As a result, our hearts may overrule our heads - leading to bad decisions being made."

very much on my mind

1 comment: