www.flickr.com

Friday, June 20, 2008

Lessons from Myself

"Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm. But the harm does not interest them." -T. S. Eliot


I was talking to a family member a while back and I tried to offer him a piece of advice. Some times in life there are things we want and in our pursuit of them, everything goes wrong. You could think, "This is a test from God, and I will pass this test no matter how hard, enduring and long this test is." With this feeling of purpose you endure setback after setback, pain and humiliation, but still you close your eyes and have faith that it will pass. Once the object is no longer worth the test, you fight even harder because you have to justify all you have been through. My advice was, "Maybe this is not a test from God, but instead his screaming that this is a bad idea and for you to run, to leave it alone, that it is not for you." You feel kind of like a chump afterwards thinking you were God's fierce warrior while the whole time you were trying to take him and His wisdom on. I say all this, because I didn't know that it wasn't him I was giving the advice to, it was myself. How could it be so very clear, yet when applied to my own life in so many facets, I could not see it. So...I get your point God.

The truth is, I don't believe in trying to give a Biblical explaination to what are in the grand scheme of things are inconsequential daily occureances. Sometimes you just need to learn lessons in your life. Stop touching the hot stove, stop spending money on shit you can go without, stop idealizing good, but flawed women. It is only logical, but I think the God rationale makes it feel like it is out of your control and thus relieves your responsiblity.

The good news is that today is the happiest day of the year. Want to know why? What Makes June 20th The Happiest Day Of The Year

Of course this day falls on a day where I am a terrible hurt back. I'm talking working comp type back. I loaded a bed into the back of my truck and then couldn't get out of the bending position without some wicked pain. Luckily I figured I'd just drive it away. I got it from being a badass and almost singlehandedly lifting a huge entertainment system from the back of of Rino's truck to put in the garage. (other hand being Rino.) I thought I pulled something in my upper back, but guess it was lower. Don't old people complain about this type of stuff. You know what, my back is fine...I'll walk it off. Probably won't help you move though.

At night I moved a bed I had in the back of my truck inside. It was heavy and my back hurt but I was not going to let my back tell me I can't do something. I hate it when people tell me I can't do something.


I had a good week of work. Maybe I just felt really productive and knew I was kicking some ass. Nothing is cooler than having a better response than the motion that was thrown at you. It made me think about debate. I hear there is this good documentary called Resolved. It is on HBO, but I don't have HBO right now, so I'm going to have to wait to see it.


understand the ramifications of your decisions before you make them

No comments:

Post a Comment