www.flickr.com

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Atonement

"I love you. I'll wait for you. Come back. Come back to me." - Cecilia Tallis in Atonement



I finished the book Atonement today. I am now ready to watch the movie and have much anticipation in doing so. I’m glad that I didn’t have the end ruined for me, but don’t yet know how I feel about it. I feel like something must have gone over my head or that something was lost in listening to the book rather than reading it. I wasn't as emotionally moved as I felt I should be. I even made sure to get the unabridged version so that I would be able to fully grasp the story. I enjoyed it I did, but for the obvious reasons of the story of Robbie and Cecelia. Then again, I feel there could have been more about the time they actually got to spend with each other. This I thought was supposed to be a tale of love, a tale of two characters who are brought apart by horrible circumstances, yet I feel that you don't get to see if their love from away is similar to the few times they get to spend together. Also, I didn't like the way Cecilia and Robbie's death was handled - it was was too short, more like "I got you - they didn't live happily ever after - they both died never saw each other again." I understood that their deaths were all too real and like any real tragedy would make lousy fiction—and it would as in my case not fulfill the reader's expectations. It is great writing, don’t get me wrong and did keep my attention the whole time. Not to mention that the book itself is supposed to be representative of Briony's penning of that very story within the book itself. Here is the part that I am hoping the movie clears up for me. I didn't think Lola was as bad as she was described, but I never truly understood her character and I don't understand why she would marry Paul Marshall (I didn’t understand her motivation behind that), Oh and why Briony seemed to dislike her so much in the end. Maybe the movie or further reflection will change my opinion. That is it for book club Marty.

Thursday feels like a normal work day and another day in the life of Marty type of experience. I have to remind myself that I'm going home for at least a week and I'll need to make preparations. From washing my clothes, to picking what I'm taking down, to figuring out how I'm going to transport my pets down, and other loose ends. Sometimes the future does sneak up on you. I think I'll wait until I'm home to wash my truck and put in the much needed windshield wiper fuild the blinking light has been begging me for for weeks.

For lunch I decided to go to the mall, mainly because I won't have the opportunity to go when we change offices. I wish I had my watch on me because I need a new battery and the mall is the only place I can get one. I ate in the food court and then looked for a bookstore. I'm probably late in noticing that bookstores have almost all completely left malls. Either you go to a big Barnes and Noble or a small used bookstore, but the medium sized mall versions I haven't seen in years. That is probably Amazon has been my new bookstore. I miss lunches where I sit with friends and just chat about tv or random topics, getting my mind away from my daily tasks.


A good friend of mine decided to be a Christmas blessing for me and I wanted to note that I am much appreciative. Pay it forward I will do. You hope that people can count on you just as much.

There are dates that just stick in your mind. They bring back memories from the past. Be it the 3rd, the 12th, or today. You usually don’t think about it, but when you look at the calendar you feel an unconscious reaction and have to think why. What is it about today? Then it comes back and you wish that the day might of passed going unnoticed. As time passes, you start to forget the days and have new days that you being to cherish.


it was similar to the underlined passage in cold mountain, this time I wasn't naive enough to believe it

2 comments:

  1. Feliz Navidades Martin! I tried writing this last night but my power went out midway. Anyways, I hope your Christmas was filled with joy, love, cheer, good food, and good gifts! Have a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Marty!

    ReplyDelete