www.flickr.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How much do I like TV?

Sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.” - George Orwell


Ok back to blogging now that that whole beauty debate is over with. Next time I'll come up with a topic I'm more emotionally invested in. I am happy for the response and argument though.

I've been thinking about the holidays and how I plan to spend them. Right now I have from the 22nd until the 1st off. My thoughts are that I will drive down to the Valley that Saturday the 22nd and stay until the 26th (Weds) after Christmas. Then the decisions come into play. Where do I want to spend my birthday (27th) and New Year's Eve? My options are the Valley or Austin. The thing is that Abram isn't coming down for Christmas, so on the 26th my mom is going up to Ft. Worth to see him. I'll still have my Dad and sisters down though. The question pretty much comes down to where I have more friends to celebrate with I think. Every year I go have a beer with my friends for my bday and I've always enjoyed that (plus my Red Lobster lunch with family), so if I came up to Austin I'm thinking it would be about the 28th or so. I need to think about this more. Now if people would come visit me in Austin, well then this would be a much easier choice.


Here is another common topic for me, sleep. Usually I try to justify my insomnia or discuss ways to try to beat it, but I've been sleep relatively well in the past few months. I haven't even taken any sleep medication at all to help. Here is my new problem. The last few days I've been falling asleep way too early. I never thought this would bother me, but it does since I'm a night owl and those are my hours. At around 9pm, sometimes 8pm, I'm in bed asleep. I don't mean to, I lay down and watch tv and then push pause, roll over and take a short nap that goes longer. I do wake up during the night, usually at 12am, 1am, and 3am because my body feels like I should be waking up for work or something. So Sleep doctors recommend 8-9 hours of sleep per night. I'm one of those people that at least needs 9, but let's pretend I'm tough and can do the minimum at 8. (Most people get 7 sometimes only 6 hours, but I don't think I could pull that even though I tend to get that much usually.) I wake up at 6:30am, that is a time that is set because I have work at 8am and it gives me time to shower, dress and enjoy Austin traffic for almost an hour. So working backwards from 6:30am - in order to get 8 hours of sleep I would need to get to bed at: 10:30pm. (I hope my math is right there.) To fall asleep at 10:30pm I'd probably have to get in bed at 10pm. A 10pm bed time, I guess it isn't unreasonable, but that is when I watch the Daily Show (or used to before the strike - Go Writers!). Yeah, looking at these numbers, I don't have much of a case here. I guess I just needed to think that out loud.

Did you know a recent study showed that -Well-read women sleep well:

"It seems that well-read women are more comfortable in bed than men - the more educated a female is, the better she sleeps at night. In case of males, it's just the reverse. Yes, according to a study carried out by a team of international researchers, women have higher rates of insomnia than men and the more they are educated, the more likely they are to sleep through the night. Conversely, the better educated a man is, the less likely he is to get a good night's sleep, the Science Daily has reported. "Globally, women are up to twice as likely to be insomniacs as men. But, higher educational attainment improve women's night time sleep quality, it has the opposite effect on men," according to the researchers. "


I've been posting my entries much earlier during the day because I have an hour for lunch and I haven't been leaving the office too often. I could solider on, but this hour break gives me some time to read news and the such. Go Time Management! It is not as fun writing when I could be chilling.



Here is a topic I'd like some feedback on: Is TV more important than Sex? (of course on face the answer is no.)

Reported as TV In Bedroom, Problems For Your Sex Life "A new Italian study has found that couples who have a television set in their bedroom have sex half as often as those who don't." It is an old 2006 study, but I haven't forgotten about it. Maybe it is just me, but I think it is important.

So I think about this issue since I have a TV in my room and have had one since I was like 12. It doesn't really matter right now since I'm not married nor in a relationship, but I think when I'm older and if I go that route, would I still want a TV in my bedroom and I still think the answer is yes. Does that mean I'm relegating myself to having sex half as often? It is a cost benefit analysis I think, I mean you have to look at how much sex you will be having to know if cutting it in half would be acceptable. I understand that more = better, but if half is still a lot, hey maybe you can still have both. I just can't see myself watching a movie or late night TV and not being in bed. I mean that is why there is a sleep button. Then there is waking up on a weekend and turning on the game while you try to get up. Maybe I'm just thinking too much in bachelor mode. Oh, maybe I could just be an exception to the rule. I like that last idea.

Evolution keeps pregnant women upright - Insert Jesus if it makes you feel better since he created evolution and all. Wait you don't agree with that either. Angie told me about this article, stating, "This must also be the reason why my breasts don't make me topple...."

"Evolution provided slight differences from men in women's lower backs and hip joints, allowing them to adjust their center of gravity, new research shows."..."But what about men with stomachs the size of babies or bigger? What keeps them from toppling over?" - Read the article to find out.

'Danger: Avoid Death' Contest Winner: "Danger: Avoid Death" has been chosen as the nation's wackiest warning label by the anti-lawsuit group.


For more photos of past winners go here. or check out http://www.wackywarnings.com/



The Politics Part:

Gonzales Named Lawyer Of The Year - no really it isn't a joke. Is this kind of like the Medal of Freedom you get when you royally fuck up, but a Lawyer version? The editor of the American Bar Association Journal did say in their defense, kind of:

Think about Time magazine’s Person of the Year,” Adams said in an interview. “In years past they’ve named people like Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin. So we’re not suggesting by these awards that these are the best lawyers in any sense of the word. We are saying they are the most newsworthy—and perhaps also the best.”

Bush League Justice: Click Image to play. I'm not a big Dan Abram's fan, but this story on the politicization of the Civil Rights Department of the DOJ under George W. Bush is great. I can't believe the Civil Rights Division isn't supporting Civil Rights of Minorities any more. It is really worth a watch...look at the people hired and cases taken.


Take the Red Pill is a site I don't read too often, but when I do I enjoy the politics it brings up since it talks about most of the articles I happen to have read recently. Here are some highlights from a recent entry. "TODAY'S TOPICS: Gore Speech, Global Warming, Evang..."

Compare:

"To address these problems, the goal of Federal policy should be to emphasize abstinence as the only certain way to avoid both unintended pregnancies and STDs."-- White House, 2002


VERSUS

"The birth rate rose by 3 percent between 2005 and 2006 among 15-to-19-year-old girls, after plummeting 34 percent between 1991 and 2005."-- Washington Post, 12/6/07



still mad at you

No comments:

Post a Comment