www.flickr.com

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Since 1939

"While the police have the right to request citizens to answer voluntary questions concerning unsolved crimes they have no right to compel them to answer." - Davis v. Mississippi, 394 US 721, 727


Well I'm going to have to revise my claims about my plans concerning the book recommendation Atonement. I was laying in bed watching tv and I saw a trailer commercial for the movie with Keira Knightley (Love Actually still my favorite role she has played) and I was sold for the time being. See what a pretty girl can do. I still can't read the book because I don't have a used copy anyone will lend me, but I do have the full 14 hour unabridged audiobook in hand. It would be nice to do my combo reading where I read at home and listen while I drive. After I'll watch the movie.

I'm watching Countdown on Wednesday night and I can't believe that a lot the same topics I brought up in my blog entry were discussed on my favorite news show. (Please come back Daily Show - Someone pay the writers already.) My warning - avoid death link was featured and a few of the news stories I discussed like Lawyer of the Year. Then it hit me, well I tend to follow the news from the same places that Countdown sometimes uses as inspiration for some of their commentary, so of course the stuff I read on news sites throughout the day will sometimes be featured. At least I know that if I don't keep up with news online, I will still get the highlights later on TV.

Cornell Football on Countdown Full Transcript of 12/12/07 Show: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3719710/

The story‘s ahead, but time now for COUNTDOWN‘s best three persons in the world. Number three, best in rationalization: I received this today from a colleague. Why Cornell should get a shot at this year‘s college football championship game: Ohio State lost to Illinois which lost to Michigan. Michigan lost to Appalachian State which lost to Walford. Walford lost to Elange. They lost to Ferman and Ferman lost to Hostra. Hostra lost to Northeastern. Northeastern lost to Rhode Island which lost to Fordham. Fordham lost to Bucknell and Bucknell lost to Cornell. My alma mater has not won the national football championship since 1939. We need all the rationalizations we can get.

Go Big Red! Bill Maher and Olbermann from my alma mater, something must be in the water for such a conservative school. The older I get the more I think I want my kids to go there, but I don't think me still owing student loan bills will be too helpful.

Bush Vetoes Kids Health Insurance Bill For The Second Time - You know where I stand on this, I mean Red or Blue, isn't health care something that everyone should have access to?

w00t: Is Word Of the Year

Friday I have a Divorce Seminar that I am going to take. It is an all day event and hopefully I'll learn a lot about the topic and have a good time. It is like education for education's sake almost. Things are still interesting at work. It must be the competitive person in me.

Did you know that a 42-inch plasma set can consume more electricity than a full-size refrigerator -- even when that TV is used only a few hours a day? I still want a big one.

Speaking of wanting things, I've gone back and forth on what my dream car is. I'm in no position to buy one, but it doesn't mean I can't dream. It used to be an F-150 back in the day, but that is too large and I'm done with trucks, then it became the Passat, after that I moved to Acura and the TSX (which is still high on the list.) But I didn't want to limit myself, so I more recently thought bigger. I thought Mercedes. After a few days of day dreaming, I just found out that I really didn't want one. So now I'm at a dark blue BMW. I used to really want a BMW, but then moved to Miami where everyone had one. It was a car that kind of annoyed me, but now I'm over it and I think that when I can afford a new car and am on my feet, I might be going the way of the BMW. I'll never forget when my uncle got one, to me it was the coolest thing ever, this was like the 80s.

I want to give a quick shoutout to Maria, today is her birthday! We are not young anymore friend, but you are still older than me. :) Enjoy!


people finally give up, but I'm not those people

6 comments:

  1. Marty, did you know that a 42 inch plasma TV can consume more sex than a full-sized refrigerator too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, what's more important, sex or the game? if the super bowl was on, would you turn it off to have sex with your girlfriend?

    i have to admit, i've gotten annoyed sometimes when i just want to watch tv but my other half wants a litle nookie.

    jeez hair did turn into a big deal. you're right, i'm staying out of it now, lol.

    thanks for the call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way, you are not far behind! i just realized your birthday is exactly 2 weeks from mine. you should celebrate all week long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superbowl, but of course it all depends on "context" and "circumstances." If relations were common then waiting wouldn't be a big deal, but if it has been a long time, let's say a week, well maybe that is when it would be great to have a DVR to pause the game. I would just hope she would know better.

    Believe me I'm celebrating all week long...hopefully I'll get some work done too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny story. During the 2006 season, Notre Dame was playing evil-Stanford. ND had fallen way behind and... um... we'll just say my girlfriend and I became distracted. In the process, Brady Quinn found Jeff Sjamlduosejia for, like, a 60 yd TD pass.

    Really, best of both worlds here. I heard the play as it happened, and made it back in time for ND's miraculous comeback that followed. In my mind, I even take some irrational credit for the victory.

    Anyway, I should know this, but when is your birthday, Marty?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being way behind is a justifiable reason to get distracted. I can't believe you literally got off to ND football, nice. Guess it is like having Dave Matthews playing in the background. You are a true fan my friend. In my book you get credit for that victory. My bday is 12/27 when is yours?

    ReplyDelete