December is my favorite month of the year. Not for the same reasons as everyone else, but for the vain reason that it is the month of my birthday. Everyday of this month reminds me of the fact that there is going to be a special day that is totally about me. It is that type of day that really gets you through the year. Oh, then there is the whole Christmas and New Year's Eve thing. I'm also a fan of cold weather. Not cold like Ithaca cold, or even snowing cold, but cold enough to lay under the blanket and feel warm. I used to always get in trouble as a kid for having the air condition really high (and as in high and I mean low) and then being in bed under a blanket. My parents would get mad and tell me that I wouldn't need the blanket if I would just stop wasting electricity to make it colder.
Here is some news I thought was interesting. I actually like Huckabee, but there are parts of his faith and views that are too much for me even considering he is a Republican. (He is my second choice to Ron Paul in that alternate universe where I didn't care about the poor, freedom and civil liberties.)
Huckabee Claimed Jesus 'On The Cross' Supported The Death Penalty
At the debate "Huckabee dodged the question that time. But in 1997, Huckabee claimed that Jesus would have agreed with him on supporting the death penalty. Shortly before a triple execution in Arkansas in Jan. 1997, a caller called into Huckabee's show on Arkansas Educational Television Network and asking how he squared his Christian teachings with his support for the death penalty. As the Arkansas Times reported on Jan. 22, 1997:
"Interestingly enough," Huckabee allowed, "if there was ever an occasion for someone to have argued against the death penalty, I think Jesus could have done so on the cross and said, 'This is an unjust punishment and I deserve clemency'."
The news just keeps coming:
Students Confront Ashcroft
Some 150 students donned hoods and turned their backs in silent protest of former Attorney General John Ashcroft at Cornell University on Thursday. Cornell law student and protest co-planner Michael Siegel told Truthdig the demonstrators were meant to represent “the detainees who were arrested and imprisoned without due process under Ashcroft’s leadership.”
I went to school here, I've been in that building. I think a quiet respectful protest makes a bigger impact. I miss those days.
Watch the Protest in Action:
for a reason
hey marty, i have so much to tell you! yeah i need to figure flicker out because i'm pretty sure a digital camera is waiting in my future. did you know diego ended up going to the high school jorge went to, loyola? it's crazy and it's a great school and he loves it. december is my favorite month too, for the same reason, except for the cold part. but what i love the most is hearing las mananitas in the morning. oh and guess what? i'm going to the rosebowl with clay, my sister, and my brother eduardo. that list about the 9 most badass bible verses was great, that site had a lot of funny lists. whew! that's it! talk to you later
ReplyDeleteMary I can always count on you to get what I'm talking about. Hopefully Diego follows Jorge's and his sister's pretty impressive example.
ReplyDeleteLas mananitas has never been a staple in my family. Sounds like it has good memories for you. I did hear it a lot growing up, but it just not a birthday song to me. Then again, you know I'm all for a new happy birthday song, the one the world has is kind of repetitive and sucks.
I can't believe you have seen more football than I have this season. That just can't be right. That should be a lot of fun. I have yet to go to a bowl game, but I'd like to. Maybe when Cornell makes it.
I need to read the other lists, I can't believe I actually read most of that long article.