www.flickr.com

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sunglasses At Night

"Today, there are three kinds of people: the have's, the have-not's, and the have-not-paid-for-what-they-have's." -Earl Wilson


Wednesday I was not the model employee. I just didn't have concrete projects to work on, so the work I did do wasn't as productive as I wanted. It really showed in the hours I was able to log. I sit by a window, I think I take that for granted. I remember how at my old office in DC, a window was something people fought for. There was a lot of politics on who got those offices. I look outside and it makes me long for the holidays. It gets dark so early it feels.

I have never been great, nor even good at sending Christmas Cards to family and friends. I just don't do it. I feel like it is a real grown up thing to do, but I don't think I'm at that stage yet. It does make me feel guilty when I do receive one and I know I didn't take the time to send one out. Maybe next year...wow that sounds like my motto for everything. Is life too short for Christmas cards? I don't know, but if it was important enough I'm sure I'd be doing it.

I got a new pair of glasses a while back and sunglasses as well. I've had a lot of problems with the sunglasses. First they were too thick and I had to get different lenses, then they didn't fit and now when they do come in I won't be able to get them until after new years because I'll be out of town. Not that I need sunglasses in the winter, but this is Texas and I've gotten used to just wearing glasses. I've never had prescription sunglasses before.

I went on an advice seeking mission talking to friends trying to get feedback on my decisions. It is true, usually people don't truly want advice they just want confirmation or validation for their decisions. All the advice was similar and probably the same I'd give to myself. I got some interesting advice on my decision to get a dog, which was similar to what I had gotten before I made that decision. For me, my thought was that no matter how it turned out, I'd always take care of my dog and make sure he had a backyard. I never thought that therein lied the problem, that now I'd have to pick a place that accommodates a dog whereas I could of picked a place that didn't have a backyard that I might rather have. That aside, I'm still happy with Max, but not sure how happy he is. I can tell you this, he is better off with me than where he was previously.

I want a Palm Centro for Christmas. Unfortunately, I'm not getting people gifts this year, so I also have no means to get it for myself, but it doesn't mean I can't still want it. The way I look at it, I truly do want an Iphone. My contract doesn't expire for at least a year. So I have a year to save up and wait for the 2nd generation version and then join everyone else. Everyone who has one seems so happy with it.

I have no real big news to talk about. Here is some randomness. The MCP got 29 entries up in 4 months. You add one more and that is 30*4= 120 entries a year on average. I had 129 last year and am at about 150 for this year I think. Before that, (this being my point) I had only 48 entries for the past two years (crazy how it was the exact same number both years.) So in 4 months MCP almost matched that feat which took me a year. For 2008 I'm hoping for about 80 or so, I wrote too many this year, but there were a lot of changes going on and the writing really helped me out. I'll save my resolutions for another time though cause we all know that entry is coming soon.

Huckabee said recently, "It's so politically incorrect to say 'Merry Christmas' anymore.... It's just beyond ridiculous. You can't even say "Merry Christmas" without people getting all sensitive about it."

It is that type of self-righteous martyrism talk that really gets me heated, and the inferred hatred of the term "politically correct." (Hypos) "Oh its so 'politically incorrect' to use racist and sexist terms, look at where our society has gone to." It isn't politically correct, it is just fucking offensive to call Hispanics (or Latinos) all Mexican, or Asians all Chinese, to call women bitches. You wouldn't call those examples PC, but it only changed because it just stopped being PC to refer to Blacks in racist terms (oh and the it being wrong thing.) "Why do I have to call a cripple a 'disabled person?'" Once again, just fucking offense. Find me a PC term that isn't offense and then I'll say, well then just use that term, no harm no foul right. But just labeling something PC doesn't make it by nature an overly sensitive reaction. And on the Christmas thing, really, you can say Merry Christmas, it's not a problem, but going out of your way to include other people celebrating their own holidays as well isn't an attack on you, it's just a way of being inclusive. You don't have to do it, but don't have to make walmart do it just because it offends you that they want to include more people. I've always said Merry Christmas ON CHRISTMAS and Happy Holidays at other times, before to include New Years (cause at the time I really didn't know much about other holidays), but now I don't mind including Hanukkah, Three Kings Day (What? a day about Jesus?), Kwanzaa and the whole non-christian Santa Claus, tree, wreath stuff. My Jesus is that kick ass guy in the Bible that cared about all people, not the one some preachers try to sell you that loves America and would die for his right to carry a semi-automatic weapon. In short, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

are things different now?

No comments:

Post a Comment