www.flickr.com

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Champions!

"A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving...."- Albert Einstein

Congrats to all those Boston fans out there, namely those I know living in Boston, from Boston and who like Boston. You got your World Series and your sweep! 8 games in a row is quite the feat. For fans that knew nothing but misery, this should be interesting to see how they deal with this. My guess is that they will just become obnoxious Yankee fan types. Embrace the moment while you can. Now when people say they suck next year, they can't just blame some abstract curse. There are many reasons I am happy Boston won, one is that I can finally stop watching baseball and use the time to focus on school. Guess there is still college football, NFL, and the NBA.

Today I called up my health insurance company to get the details of my plan. I logged on to the website to see which doctors I could see and I had a lot of options. I guess the only thing that is keeping me from seeing a doctor is my inability to sit down and make an appointment. What type of doctor do you see for learning disorders? I want to get tested for all of them. Well I'll do it next week for sure. Maybe I'll get a general physical too, so that that doctor can tell me to stop eating fried foods and go on a diet.

Let me say it again, I so want this election to be over. 5 days to go and the lies and bitching are just driving me crazy. My bet is that voters will come out in droves and that more minorities will come out, giving Kerry a close, but clear win. It is also my hope more than a prediction, but the worst that can happen is that Bush will win and things will get worse.

What to talk about? I learned today that we get an extra hour Saturday night for Halloween, so 1am - 2am we get to do twice. That is a good hour if you ask me. I don't think I've every fully celebrated Halloween before. I don't think I will this year either, but I have dressed up, I have gone out, but I've never really gotten too excited about it.

I talked to my older sister today. She was on her way to drinks for her 14th anniversary at her job. That is a long time to be working for the same company. I guess we were brought up with loyalty, for better or for worse. It's a pretty awesome accomplishment.

I have a stack of mail, mainly bills, piling up on my desk. Just like everything else in life, I just put stuff on top and try to pretend its not there. If you put stuff off long enough, the idea is that if it is truly unimportant, it will fade away or take care of itself. I think I deal with a lot of stuff by trying not to think about it. Sometimes its easier to not think about things, but some things will always be there, like my lack of knowing/learning Spanish, etc. Is it really ignorance when you choose to be ignorant.

I feel like I have things to say, but they are not coming out. In property we are learning about vested and contingent remainders. I sometimes feel like that about friends. They all start off as contingent remainders (which are easily destroyed), but if they become vested they can't be destroyed. I would rather have a vested remainder than many contingent remainders, due to the fact that you can always count on something that is vested. I pretty much told a friend of mine that I wouldn't have driven him to the polls to vote (had I lived in his city) if I had the option and I'd make him take the bus. (there was justification mind you). That is the type of messed up stuff you can only tell a person you trust, a person you know is truly your friend and thus you can be honest with them and not fake. I really don't know where I'm going with this.

Today I had a 1 hour seminar for my writing class being taught by a 3L law student. She made us read something and asked a question about the issue. No one said anything. Finally after at least 30 seconds, some guy said something, but it wasn't helpful, he just talked cause no one wanted to talk. She asked another question and then silence. She got pissed off and told us that since we didn't give a shit that we should just leave and she was going to give us credit for the seminar. I did feel bad, but it was true, we didn't care, though we should have at least pretended to care. Everyone pretty much blamed it on her for getting upset, but I know it was our collective faults. Actually, its more grey than that, but I left that room feeling pretty bad, though I think I might have been the only one. Mind you, I got over it fast.

I was pretty proud of Angie yesterday because of what she did at work. I won't get into the details, but she cared more about the reasons we are fighting for to win this election rather than the winning in itself. She did end up giving herself more work, but it spoke well for her character. It is good when people impress you. The elderly, poor, and disabled deserve the same rights as everyone else.

I really think Republicans and Democrats want to win so bad, they start to care more about winning and losing rather than the values that established their parties. I think some people would vote down party lines no matter who was running just to further what they think is their agenda. I can see that because I feel like I need to vote against republicans right now just because I don't think they are willing to part with there party when they don't agree. The same could be said of Democrats, but they tend to wield to Republicans a lot more in my opinion. So we have these polorized sides (which a Rep. I know at school blames Gore), and moving towards being moderate makes it seem like you are supporting the other side and you don't want to give them anything. But I'll complain that moderates are bad too because they are just the worst of both worlds instead of the best. I think Ross Perot had a good thing going, if only he could have let someone else run in his place instead of being so selfish. Imagine if we had a real 3rd player in this election, that would be great I think. I'll get in line and say our system sucks, but its representative of human nature I think. You join together to be strong and sacrifice smaller values for the viewed greater good. If only we could find a way to not to have to sacrifice those other issues. Apathy isn't the solution, but I guess that's part of human nature too. When I hear of Blacks who are not voting because they are so discouraged, it angers me at them because it should energize them more, not give them an excuse to quit.

I think I say [write] a lot of stuff to hear it and convince myself of it. I might be feeling down and out so I write about how great life is and reflect on all the good things. But no matter how nice those words look, I know they are more about how I should feel than I do feel. I think I'm pretty good at knowing what I should think, feel and how to approach life, but in reality my actions are not always consistent with that. I talk about seizing the day, yet I count down the hours, days or weeks to certain events...I talk about buckling down and focusing, but I instead find any excuse not to, I talk about completely trusting people, but inside I expect the worse. I say that I don't want to rely on people to be happy, that I'll be happy in myself, yet I know that other people make me happy, a happiness I couldn't have just alone. I tell myself to forgive people, but inside I still harbor resentment when they hurt me. So I write things that tell me how I should think, how I should feel, how I should be, just to keep me from giving up hope.

so how about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment