www.flickr.com

Friday, October 19, 2007

Everybody's Dog is named Max

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)



I feel so foolish and be honest quite embarrassed. I come up with this clever dog name that just came from my instincts and gut when I saw my puppy. Max I thought, that has to be a Max. It was so divine. So the dog formerly known as Snoopy, aka Romeo had a new name that I thought was just a bit of inspiration. Then I'm listening to a book about dogs and the example name they use is "Max." I thought that that was weird, but maybe it was just a sign that Max was a good idea I mean for him to use the exact same name as my dog. Then I go to the pet store to get my dog a tag and the example tag said "Max." That confused me so I decided to research this. Well, no wonder the name came to me, I picked the most common dog name ever! It is the number #1 favorite dog name. (fyi #3 Buddy, #4 Bailey, #18 Sparky, #58 Gizmo.) Maybe I heard it so many times that it just engraved itself in my psyche. I should know more about dogs. This, oh no, this will not do. It has been like two days, so I invoke a mulligan and have re-named my dog to Not Sure Yet. He will forgive me. I thought about going to my past entries and just changing his name, but that would be wrong. I really wanted a two syllable name, but who knows what I'll end up picking.

Wednesday was a stressful day. I had a court filing due, but there was also one due on Thursday that was much longer. I finished my Wednesday filing early and took it over to the Court, but then came crunch time for the next one. It hit me while I was dropping off the response to a motion that I really want to be a lawyer. I think I could enjoy this. I still feel life has other bigger plans for me, but for right now, I can't wait until the day I am able to practice law. I wanted to work from home, but I found out that I am just not a productive person at home. Should I accept that fact or fight it? Is not working at home just giving in?

Thursday morning Max woke me up at 5am howling and yapping. The automatic sprinklers went on and as he got wet he was not enjoying the morning water. I let him inside and he hung out with me for the next hour. I know I should walk him in the morning, but I don't see that happening. I hope he doesn't yap like this again because I'm sure it woke the neighbors up. So far I don't have much to report. He got a new collar, a bad in tick medicine, I learned I can't cut dog nails and the cats are still not fond of him. Everything seems on schedule.

So I thought Wednesday was stressful, that filing due on Thursday was tough and I worked all day on it and got it in just in time. It was almost 70 pages long. It felt great to be done and I was proud of my work. On this same day, I went to IHOP to pick up a to-go salad and an old man in line behind me asked me if I wanted to get a booth with him. Usually I'd totally say yes since I enjoy chatting it up with strangers, but this day I had a deadline and was really stressed. I let him know I was getting food to go and he acted like he didn't invite me in the first place. I still felt bad though because I think it is hard to ask strangers to have lunch with you. Maybe another day. I noticed there were a lot of people that eat alone. I'm not a big fan, at least not in public, at home, well I always eat alone.

I have started up a MySpace blog. I think a lot of people visit MySpace who don't have the time to link to blogs, but don't mind checking out the blogs that MySpace has. I wish there was a way to just have my blog automatically updated to my MySpace blog, but I'm sure I'll figure out how to do it. Here is hoping this works out. I will not move my pictures over from Flickr to Myspace though. I like them at Flickr, but I need to find a way to add a link. I should probably redo my page soon, but I don't use MySpace as much so I haven't really had the drive.


Thursday night I joined Oscar for a Cornell Alumni event called Zinck's Night. It was held at a bar in north Austin. It was my first Cornell event and I met some cool people. The part that was hard for me was hearing the speech about donating to the scholarship fund and how important it is to future students. All I could think was how much money I still owe the school, I don't even think I've even started to really pay it back yet. Then throw on law school, yeah I can't be helping rich middle class kids get 1000 bucks spending cash while I'm still trying to figure out to pay off these debts. That is really negative I think and I know I'll donate to help poor kids get educations when I am in a positive financial situation, but then again that is the type of thing you seem to always put off. I think I might check out some more events.


After the happy hour, I went to Ericka's and we watched Greys. The show just doesn't have the same feel to it as it did before, but I still want to watch it, so it must be good enough. We had popcorn and I got to see the invitations to Monica's baby shower. She is really starting to look pregnant. I think I'm getting better at being used to being away from my house. Right now with work and such it feels like I am at home only for sleep.

Friday I went to the Tax office in town and registered my Truck with Texas. Now it is an official Texas Truck with Texas Plates and Texas stickers. I had to pay a lot though and that sucked, and I don't know what I'm going to do with my VA plates now. So I have a new plate number to memorize, fun. This was a big step for me. I still have a VA license though.

So one day either February or July I'd like to take my 2nd bar exam. The states I can choose from are FL, VA, CA, NY. NY is out. I was leaning to CA as my main choice. One friend said FL would be my best choice because I was happiest there. Another told me that VA would be better because I have connections there and my education was from there. (Then throw in the DC waive in if I'm in VA). I don't want to move, or plan to move for some time, but if and when I take that second bar I don't know what to base my decision on.


One question I get a lot is, "How do you have the time to blog and keep up with news and then talk about it?" The assumption is that I must only do that and not be very productive. Though I do admit to being on a computer for quite some time, most of it at work many hours a day, I make time for it. My news reading is done with Google Reader - www.google.com/reader . I love it. You should really check it out, it has changed how I get my news. I can scan through hundreds of articles and just read the ones that interest me and also be aware of what is going on around me even if I don't choose to read that article. As far as writing goes, I write on breaks during the day. I start in the morning jotting down some thoughts and every few hours or so I take a break and just get out all the things going on in my head...ok well not all of them. But I don't see this as work, it is cathartic for me, a way of sharing ideas and thoughts that I'm mulling around in my head and sometimes just don't work well into normal everyday conversation. Though I do admit to try to merge the two.

This is a bit late since the veto for SCHIP was not overridden, but I thought it was a good speech.

Stark later apologized due to much pressure.

how does one pick a name?

2 comments:

  1. lol, oh marty...... i knew it was popular but i didn't know it was #1! that's hilarious. don't pick pepper either.

    dude, i totally did that to my cat and i hate to say this..... i could never choose a name so now, she's nameless. i know, poor thing doesn't have an identity. nobody calls her anything. i actually just start meowing and she comes so maybe she thinks MEOW is her name.

    we've also had lots of PUPPY's because of name choice indecisiveness. basically, don't let too much time pass by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say you just name her Pepper. It is never too late to give a cat a name. They sometimes get new ownwers when they are older and get new names. I think Pepper works...but then again I'm no role model for naming right now.

    ReplyDelete